1992 Olds 88 "dieseling" sound when going up hill??

I have a 1992 Olds 88 with 135,000 miles that I have owned for 6 months. It runs great but when ever I go slighly up hill the engine will make what I call a dieseling sound (or a real fast pining sound)for a few seconds. It doesn't seem to affect anything but I know that this is not normal. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

Reply to
scholin

1) Combustion chamber conditioner (follow instructions on can) 2) or a slow trickle of water while the engine runs at a fast idle (slightly more risky but usually equally effective)

Ideally,

Remove cylinder heads, wire brush cylinder head and piston crown, grind down any sharp edges, re-assemble. flush coolant system install new thermostat. buy premium grade gasoline and enjoy.

If it were my car... based on age and mileage I'd almost be tempted to try the water or combustion chamber conditioner. Some in the group might even recommend taking the car on a good long hot fast run. (also works in some cases). Though potentially more expensive :)

Reply to
Full_Name

What engine is this?

Usually this is due to either the knock sensor not working (if it has one), the EGR system not working properly, or maybe carbon buildup in the combustion chambers.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

"Robert Hancock" wrote in news:0UH0d.375434$M95.94506@pd7tw1no:

It's the 3800 V6.