1992 Olds Silhouette

I am having some problems with the ABS breaks.

Some back ground info first. The Van was given to me and had been sitting for two years in PA. Had to replace water pump and radiator. It runs great.

Now for the ABS. The ABS light comes on when I hit about 10 mph and only in forward. Backing up it does not come on. I checked fluid, pads, and fuses all good. I figure the relay is good because the light does not come on until you hit that 10 mph mark. The breaks themselves feel good and no problems stopping.

Any ideas what could be causing this.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
ChrisW

David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Besides dealers do any of the auto stores scan ABS?

Reply to
ChrisW

You can always remove each wheel, unplug the abs wires and check for the contact condition. If you have an ohm meter, measure and record the resistance at the sensor of each wheel. All sensor should have a same resistance value (~ 800 - 1300 ohms). Higher resistance mean the sensor would have to be replaced. If the contact must be cleaned, be sure to clean it then seal it well. For this van, front sensor would have to be replaced with the bearing hub. I have seen abs problem with this van due to rear connectors contact problem (i believe it is on the driver side). A scan tool is usefull only to ifentify front or back sensors. Sometime, it will say two sensors are bad when in fact only one is actually have failed. A good tech, still needs to verify both resistance and voltage (pulsating voltage as you rotate the wheel) prior to conclude a sensor problem.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Reply to