2000 Camaro Security Light

My 2000 Camaro occasionally will not start. I will turn the key and nothing happens other than the security light will come on (steady, not flashing) for 3 minutes, and then go out. If I then turn the key to the off position, it may or may not start on the next attempt.

I only have one key, but it works flawlessly 50% or more of the time. I have read a lot about the passlock system, but everything refers to a flashing security light.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Reply to
Blue

Think, it might qualify for $4500 to trade in for a Honda or Toyota. Maybe time to sell or dump?

Reply to
Canuck57

You should take the car to someone who can scan the computer for codes from the security light. It shouldn't be on during starting, and if it is, there is a problem with the car's security system.

Reply to
80 Knight

I did a scan and came up with no codes.

Reply to
Blue

What type of scanner did you use? My memory isn't all that great these days, but if I recall correctly, a regular OBD II scanner won't pick up the Security Light codes.

Reply to
80 Knight

Consider getting a 'new' key (or two of them...)

Reply to
PeterD

You may need a new key, or a new sensor for the passlock system. I have had a ton of problems on my older Reatta with this system, but I think this was a different vintage of the passlock system.

In my case, I finally bypassed the reader with a resistance equal to the resistance in the key insert. That worked for a while but finally stopped working...maybe the resistor fried...who knows. The Reatta is so undependable that I have just lost faith in it ever being drivable.

Reply to
hls

Passlock sensor in the ignition lock is bad. Dealer part Passlock sensor is part of the lock housing, can be changed and old ignition cylinder may be reused. Not something that will show on a scan. New sensor will have to go through a lean procedure.

Reply to
Repairman