2001 PT Cruiser dies at start up

Hello,

My PT Cruiser seems to start and then dies immediately. Tried flooding maneovers, but that didn't work. Did not smell any fuel, btw. [mileage is about 21,000]

*********Val
Reply to
LaVirtuosa

Actually Val, the PT Cruiser died at birth! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Val, it is probably either a shot fuel pump or faulty wiring at the ignition switch. Probably the latter, since it starts and then dies immediately. It sounds like the ignition is energizing while the starter is turning, but then loses connectivity when you lay off the starter. Do you get any "Service Engine Soon" warnings?

Reply to
StingRay

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in alt.autos.gm

Way back when, before the era of computerized controls, Chrysler used a slightly different method of wiring the ignition circuitry. They put the ballast resistor out in the open, everyone else uses a resistor in the coil. From what I have seen they still do this. When the key is in the start postion, the resistor is bypassed. When the resistor goes bad, the engine will start, but die as soon as you put the key in the run position. It should be on the fire wall, or the fender, IIRC.

Reply to
Dick C

Thank you for this valuable idea. Now, strangely, I found that the car will start fine with the other keys, but the third one causes this weird half start. I wonder if there's a code missing or something.

Reply to
LaVirtuosa

Thanks. I haven't seen that warning, but two other keys can run the car.

It is a funny sort of body design. Just parked too close to the curb and found out the hard way.

Reply to
LaVirtuosa

On 15 Aug 2005 22:47:05 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" puked:

Don't use the third key.

HTH.

lab~rat

The security chip in the one key has gone bad if the car runs fine with the two other keys.

Retro, for sure. But you see the things everywhere!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Yep, the transponder security chip has gone bad in the one key.

Reply to
James C. Reeves