2003 GMC Yukon May have to replace the A/C compressor

Wife told me she started hearing a chatter sound on her yukon, it would come and go. Found later that it chatters only between 2000 and 2500 rpm. Sounded like it was coming from the A/C compressor. Planned on ordering an A/C clutch. Called my local dealer and talked to service to see if it may be more than a clutch. I was told that the problem starts with the Fan Clutch on the Radiator cooling fan not coming up to speed, causing the A/C head pressure to get too high, and in turn the compressor can not keep up with the speed of the drive belt. They have seen this problem repetively. If caught early enough we would only need to replace the fan clutch. Now my wife reports the rear A/C is not working.

Estimated cost to replace A/C compressor and Fan Clutch $1275.00.

Question.

Has anyone in this group heard of this problem before?

I check this newsgroup quite often and have never seen this problem before.

Reply to
gnman