'89 Geo Metro, engine problem

I have a '89 Geo Metro with 140k miles on it, it runs pretty good, but there are some things that aren't running all that great.

The first is that after the car has been running a while and you hold the clutch in (either at a stop sign, stop light, etc...) the engine will drop out a little... it'll be idling fine for between five and fifteen seconds, and then lower rpms close to stalling for under a second... it has never stalled and when I give it gas it doesn't do it. I'm unsure what the problem would be....

The other thing is that when you put it into reverse the winding noise is much louder than other older standards... it goes fine in reverse, but I'm just making sure it's nothing too horrible...

And the last thing is that it burns a little oil. It doesn't do it while idling, but does a little when giving it gas... nothing bad, and kind of expected on an older Geo Metro I think...

Oh... and the temperature gauge doesn't work (always on cold), and the fuel gauge fills to about 3/4 of a tank... and still goes down fine, so not a big problem, I'm guessing it is the sensor in the tank.

But anyway, my main concern is the engine troubles, and any thing you could help me with would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff.m.hopkins