91 Caddy Starter ?

91 Cadillac Brougham 49,000 miles. 5.7V8.

Well today mother turned the ignition key & nothing happened. No crank, no clickety - click, nothing. Naturally its has to be 33 degrees out !

I checked the battery, 11.9 volts. cleaned the battery cables & ground on the fender. Still did nothing when you turned the key.

Got out the Chevy Wrench ( Ball pean ammerHay ) and tapped the starter a few times. Turned the key & silence.

Tomorrow I'll try the screwdriver trick , jumping the hot wire to to solenoid S terminal and also check to see if I got currrent down to the starter.

Oh, it is the original starter. A Delco rebuild is $76 my cost ( List $

109 )

Question is :: The Caddy book says to drop the exhaust crossover that blocks the starter to remove starter.

My ( Bonneville ) mechanic doesn't recall dropping the exhaust to change a starter on this type of car or the Caprice ( same engine ). Been awle since he's worked on one.

Anybody know for sure if the exhaust has to be moved or can the starter be snaked out throught multiple twists & turns? Trans lines may have to be moved too..

Thanks.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,049 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

All fixed !. Got the starter solenoid to click when I tried using a Sears trigger gun remote starter. Forgot to turn the key on so it didn't start up. Went up top to turn the key to On. For the hell of it I turned the key to start and the starter barely turned but it was enough to fire up & start.

Drove it over to Chevy where a buddy works. He had one of the good wrenches install a Delco rebuild & a new gas filter after he puched out for the day.

The guy only wanted $20.00 but I gave him $30.00

starter $76.88 gas filter GF 580K $26.88

The guy said the gas filter he removed was installed backwards. Must of been at least 6 + years since it was last changed.

It was 29 degrees today & I didn't feel like struggling to removed the starter, hell, its mothers car - mothers $$$.

LOL.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,049 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Harry, I'm suprised at your attitude - after all, it IS your mother's car. I have found that while some men neglect to service a vehicle regularly, women are much worse at servicing them. When I got married, my wife wanted me to repair her car (because it was such a good car) but it needed so many major repairs that I sold it (now that went over like a lead balloon).

Reply to
Rich B

Rich B

When my dad was alive I wasn't allowed to touch the car, I was told by my father I'd turn it into instant sh@# !

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,129 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face