91 Chevy Cavalier RS No power

I know you probably get flooded with these questions all the time and I am sorry, but I am having a problem with my 91 Chevy Cavalier. I use to have battery power (headlights, dash lights, everything else) but when I attempted to start the car everything went dead. After about an hour I regained full battery power, I attempted to start it again with the same results. My ground from my battery was pretty rusty so I replaced it, and checked all of my other visible wiring and did not find anything out of the ordinary. I had a problem when my alternator and a badly damaged wire about 2 months ago and installed a new alternator and replaced the bad wiring. Thank you in advance.

Reply to
angrybrian

Have you had the battery tested? Sounds like it's time for a new battery.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yeah, (sorry forgot to include that) Battery is fully charged and tests good.

Reply to
angrybrian

Get the starter tested.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Clean the battery posts. Clean the battery cables at both ends. Get the car started, rev to about 1500 rpm or so, you should measure around 14v across the battery terminals. If the alternator is putting out and there is no excessive draw on the battery when the engine is off, then it's the battery. Of course, you could just have it tested.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Was the battery load tested? They can show 12V+ and still be bad. If it isn't the battery, it's probably one of the cables or it's connections. You need to look a little closer.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy