92 Lumina Z-34 Oil Leak

I bought a 92 Lumina Z-34 and the seller said it had a cam cover oil leak. The top of the engine was really dirty with a lot of oil and whatever was leaking it had been doing it for sometime. I drove the car 300 miles back home and lost one quart of oil. I'm pretty good with a wrench and have rebuilt many SB chevys, but this was a different beast. Long story short, I removed the plenum, intake camshaft covers and the right head to gain access to what I was hoping was the leak. Pulled the distributor oil pump shaft out, installed a new o-ring with distributor gasket and sealed it with RTV. Also put on new rt head, intake, crankcase breather plate, plenum and cam cover gaskets along with new timing belt, serpentine belt, plugs and borg-warner wires. Oh I had to buy a used DOHC 3.4L tool to make sure everything went back together as advertised to be sure the camshafts were properly timed. The car runs great doesn't burn any oil but there is still a very small leak when the engine is running. I can't seem to pinpoint any specific areas but the top of the engine is spotless with no oil at all. Does anyone have any ideas what else normally leaks and what the fixes are? Thx

Mario

Reply to
windycitykid

I found the source of the leak coming from the left inner tie rod boot. Since there shouldn't be fluid inside the boot, the steering gear must be leaking into it.

Any advice how difficult is it to change the steering gear in a 1992 Chevy Lumina Z-34? I've read about dropping the frame a few inches but need someone who has done this to give me some details on how to replace this component.

Thx

Mario

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Reply to