92 Pontiac Transport Stalling engine: 3800

The engine now stopped 4 times in last 2 days. I have noticed the following conditions when engine stalls:

1/ Engive is hot after diving for a while, then it stalls when slowing down or breaking. (Like taking a highway exit, or turn off ). 3/ After 15 minutes of standing with hood open it will start and run. 4/ Runs fine while cold. 5/ Runs fine while on highway. 6/ The Van has about 100000 miles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
IIC

Check the egr for proper operation. Check ign.module. Check crank sensor.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

"" wrote: > IIC wrote: > > > > The engine now stopped 4 times in last 2 days. I have > noticed the > > following conditions when engine stalls: > > 1/ Engive is hot after diving for a while, then it stalls > when slowing > > down or breaking. (Like taking a highway exit, or turn off > ). > > 3/ After 15 minutes of standing with hood open it will start > and run. > > 4/ Runs fine while cold. > > 5/ Runs fine while on highway. > > 6/ The Van has about 100000 miles. > > > > Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. > > Check the egr for proper operation. > Check ign.module. > Check crank sensor.

The ignition module got replaced, the problem persists.

It appeared that cooling the ignition module with compressed air reduced the wait time for the engine to restart after stalling.

So now we know that the problem is heat related and the restart time is trully random, with 15 minutes being the maximum time that it takes to restart.

Reply to
IIC