93 Buick Lesabre. Possible security lockout, or something else?

I'm stumped. My dad and I are trying to fix my 93 Buick Lesabre which isn't starting. At first I was seeing the SECURITY light on the dash. I took it to a shop and they told me it was the key and/or tumbler. They showed me that by turning the key to the 'on' position and then disconnecting and reconnecting a wire block from the ignition below the steering column it would start.

My dad and I tried replacing the ignition switch (we have the column dropped) to no avail. I got a new key made thinking it was the resistor. No luck. We shorted the starter to see if that was the problem. The starter fires and the vehicle runs but won't stay running. We shorted the diagnostic pins and all we get from the computer is

12(diagnostic mode) over and over.

Could this still be the tumbler and the security feature not reading the resistance from the key?

Reply to
chainsaweddie

I don't know what system is in the 93 Buick but if parts of the security system are replaced they have to be programmed to the system. Check your local library for service manuals that may help....

Reply to
Woody

Eddie, Some of those systems are a real PITA. The code reader reads the resistance in your key. If the key, or the wiring has a problem, then you will read the wrong resistance and the damn thing wont crank.

Bypass the damn thing with the appropriate resistor, and start there.

There is a special place in Hell for GM engineers.

Reply to
<HLS