intermittent starter problem on buick

Hi,

First off, I got a new starter already. The last time I had it checked in the shop, they said the battery and cables and grounds were fine. Ever so often, esp. in cold weather, the starter will not turn over. The dash lights light up. But there is not one single click from the starter. Then if you turn it off wait a moment, it starts. They couldn't find anything so I got the starter replaced, since it was doing it about every 2 days and I was concerned that it was getting worse. After the starter got replaced it was fine for about 2 weeks then it did it again. Any other ideas to check? I inquired about the ignition, but he said that if it was the ignition, the dash lights would not come on. its a regal 93.

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
mark mark

Check all your grounds.............bad connection will act that way........had a Chevy that did same thing, was dirty ground...........worth a shot.......

Reply to
BushmanBro

Many people are able to follow the hot +12volt lead from place to place and see if it is good. The problem is that many cannot follow a ground to see if it is good. They think: "How can you measure Zero volts?"

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Continuity is the key.

Any good multimeter can do the job.

"Robertwgross" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.news.cs.com...

Reply to
Fastload

Simple ground check is Continuity test.

Reply to
Shane Williams

Had a full electrical dx from the dealer, didn't find anything, however he did suggest new battery cables, since it mainly does it when it's cold. Even though the cables look good, he said corrosion can seep down inside the casing and cause problems. He also said that it was likely *not the ignition switch or tumbler, which is good because those are sort of expensive.

Mark

Reply to
mark mark

Reply to
Bobo

I asked them about the security key issue, and they said it was fine, but I'll keep that in mind for future ref, thanks. The odd thing is that the ignition switch that goes inside the column is about 60$ and 60$ to install, but the tumbler/key assembly is only 30$, but is about 160$ to install. I'm hoping its just the battery cables.

Mark

Reply to
mark mark

I've seen this advice before, but where exactly do you splice in a resistor, and what size? Thanks,........

Reply to
roadmaster