95 G20 Van Rearend

My G20 has developed a small drip from the rear axle pumpkin. Is this simply a gasket that let go, or is there something else that
could be wrong? I've haven't hit anything. I just started to leak. Thanks.
--
J Wald

"Tattaglia's a pimp"
J Wald wrote:

Its possible.
What is a G20?
You need the fluid in there so make sure you don't let it all run out on the road. There's a number of things to check. Is it leaking from the driveshaft seal? May be under warrantee. Is it leaking from a gasket? It's possible to retork the cover nuts. Is it leaking from a casing failure (crack)? You may have to replace it or have it sealed by welding (removal, clean, weld, reinstall). Is it a break line leak? Check all brake lines and see if the brake fluid resevoir is low. Brake lines are attached to the rear axel and can be damaged by stones.
J Wald wrote:

J Wald wrote:

Clean off the pumpkin and cover REAL good and then see where the oil is coming from. If you live in any of the states that use salt/calcium on the roads you're likely looking at a small rust pinhole. The cover is not very heavy and thinner in spots due to the way it is formed. They rust under the paint and when the paint chip falls off, It leaks.
It could also be the cover gasket or the front pinion seal. The gasket leak will be at the seam between the cover and the pumpkin, the pinion leak will show oil along the bottom of the pumpkin from the pinion back.
--
Steve W.