96-98 GM Full Size Trucks -Anyone know how to replace the doorhandle?

I tried to replace the outside door handle on my 96 GMC truck (C1500), got inside the door and removed the two screws that hold the door handle in place, but could not figure out how to get the lever released where the handle would come out. The lever looks to run vertical down into the door but could not find a way to release it.

Any help would be appreciated.

-D

Reply to
RM

I tried to replace the outside door handle on my 96 GMC truck (C1500), got inside the door and removed the two screws that hold the door handle in place, but could not figure out how to get the lever released where the handle would come out. The lever looks to run vertical down into the door but could not find a way to release it.

Any help would be appreciated.

-D

Reply to
RM

The few cars I've had to replace a door handle on, that metal rod is bent at the top at a 90 degree angle then fits in a hole somewhere on the back of the door handle. A clip usually snaps over the end of the rod to keep it in the hole in the door handle. Some clips are crimmed to the rod and then flip up, snap and lock in place.

good luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,129 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

There should be a little plastic clip on the handle that the rod slides into then the plastic clip clips to the rod, take it out and leave the rod in the door sticking out the outer door hole. Change out the lock and then the plastic clips on the old to the new.

Reply to
CCCHemi