98' Cavalier Overheat

Have a friend from KY down in FL for work stranded in Tampa (I-4) area with a

98 Cavalier Overheated yesterday and still won't start. Needs a mechanic in the general vicinity or some kind of advice. Anyone HELP please. Jack Jack And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

29 09.56N

082 10.13W
Reply to
Jack Archambault

Does it crank? If it doesn't even want to turn over, like no starter action whatsoever, the heat could have killed the starter solenoid.

Reply to
Paradox

Yes it cranks but won't start Jack And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

29 09.56N 082 10.13W
Reply to
Jack Archambault

Ok, when you first put the key to the run position (without cranking) do you hear the fuel pump? its kinda a whining sound.

Then check for spark.

Reply to
Paradox

Then open the oil filler cap, look in and check to see if your camshaft / rockers are being moved (can't recall if the ignition sensor on those is on the crank or camshaft). Could just be as simple as a broken timing belt.

Reply to
Full_Name

No timing belt The Cavalier has a timing chain......

Reply to
Woody

Well he took it to a mechanic; the guy told him the engine was shot and would fix it for $1300. I don't know; could be a shister.

Reply to
Jack Archambault

Reply to
none