99 Regal strut mounts: How much$ to replace?

104k. Dealer says showing wear but not to replace them right now. Estimate is $700+. Is this a reasonable price? Would I be crazy not to replace struts at same time?
Reply to
walter

The strut mounts went in my '96 Bonnie. I had them as well as the mounting plates replaced. Cost was $140 labor (a local garage) and around $90 (Napa) for each mount/plate (all prices are Canadian). As for the struts, I don't see the need to replace them unless they are worn down. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. ;-)

Reply to
80 Knight

What conditions is the car in? Personally, if the struts are original. I'd replace them now as the labor will be the same. You'd be really PO'd to have to replace them in 6 months. OTOH, I'd go to a good independent garage instead of the dealer and save a lot of money.

Given the age of the car, think before you spend that much money. It may be wiser to trade now but with all the factors in doing that, only you can make the right choice.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well... I just bought the car for $3500. (overpaid?)

Replaced right front tie rod, alignment, oil lube filter, touch up paint, misc bulbs for $350. Rides much better and they say there are no safety issues so..not an immediate issue. I think there is a little bit of noise from the front but pretty minor at this point. So..I have time to check around. But yeah..dealer seems over double for strut replacement.

Other issues: rear monsoon speakers shot. Electronic readout on AC/ Heater not working. found a place that fixes for $79. Serpentine belt has wear, brakes will need work later.

Reply to
walter