carrier for spider gears

Well folks, finally got the spider gears out of the vehicle, but now have one more question. Someone told me that the carrier that houses the gears needs to be replaced. How do I know for sure if I need a new carrier. No obvious breaks nor pitting. They thought it had too much play where the new shaft pin would be going. Please assist. I have gotten better info here than anywhere else. What should I be looking for? Thanks.

Reply to
blaze2

If you were told by someone who saw it that it had too much play then it will be about impossible for anyone in a usenet forum to tell you anything otherwise. We can't see the parts, did not see or measure the play, etc. Can you perhaps describe the play that was observed? Maybe share what the other person said specifically about the play?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If the pin is snug the carrier is fine. You said it sheered the lock bolt. Did it scar up the pin hole where the bolt sheered?

Al

Reply to
Big Al