Checking Valves on 3.8L

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

I was putting air in the #1 cylinder while the #1 cylinder was at tdc and all the air was escaping. Could this mean I have a valve stuck open. What is the best way to check if I have bad valves, because I also did a compression test and I had like 0 psi. Thanks

Reply to
Mike & Chris

You have to be at Top Dead Center on the Compression Stroke. This means the Intake & Exhaust valves should be fully closed.

Car engines are 4 stroke, except for wankle/rotary engines. The 4 strokes are Intake- Intake valve open, piston going down to BDC. Compression- Both valves closed, piston coming back to TDC. Power - Both valves closed, mixture ignited, piston going back to BDC Exhaust- Exhaust valve opening, piston coming back to TDC.

If you have a valve hung open, you will have no compression.. A good way to make sure your valves are closing is to remove the valve cover, and watch them. While rotation the motor over by hand. If a valve does not move or return to full sealing height during all 4 strokes you have a issue.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the bad luck. My advice is to get a set of used heads. Have them pressure tested, and decked. Around here salvage yards of good stature will do that included in the purchase price. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
Mike & Chris