Cobalt 4th gear question

I have a 2007 Cobalt sedan with 2.2L engine and four-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission. I rarely drive over 35mph and the 4th gear engages at 40mph. Is it possible to change this to 35mph? The dealer said no! TIA.

Reply to
Sudy Nim

And your dealer is correct!

Reply to
Steve W.

Not only is the answer no, it may even give you poorer gas mileage if it was done. A lugging engine is not very economical and can wear faster.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I noticed that once I reached 40mph the RPM dropped (shifted to 4th gear) and I could reduce speed to 38mph before it shifted back to 3rd gear. With the ever-increasing cost of gas I am obviously seeking to improve mileage and thought this might be a good approach. Appreciate your replies, thank you.

Reply to
Sudy Nim