PU Auto trans question

1995 Toyota Pickup, extended cab, only 56000 miles 4 cylinder with automatic overdrive transmission In the morning I have to drive 4 to 6 miles before it will shift to overdrive. Is this a problem or just idiosyncratic of the transmission? After it warms up a bit no problem. Thanks, Jim
Reply to
8Njim

Change the filter and fluid, WBMS

Reply to
Mike hunt

Some vehicles keep the transmission in high gear (not overdrive) to warm up the engine more quickly.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That is correct!

I don't know why, but Toyota (and a lot of Japanese ATs) keep the tranny from shifting into OD until the engine reaches a certain temperature.

I had a '95 Tercel, and it was noted in the, uh...Owner's Manual. If you have one, take a look and it should be in there...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Under about 50 degrees, my Tacoma won't shift out of 3rd gear until it's warm. Under 30 degrees, it won't shift out of 2nd. It takes a minute or two. Luckily, it takes me that long to get out of my 25 mph neighborhood and onto a street where going that slow would be a problem.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
johngdole

Toyotas with electronically controlled transmissions like your pickup delay shifts and lock out overdrive until coolant temperature reaches about 50 degrees. This helps the engine warm up more quickly so that the engine computer will go to closed loop mode more quickly, lowering emissions.

Reply to
Ray O

What does "WBMS" mean?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

WOW! Maybe it has something to do with engine size. My Tercel had a 4 speed AT with OD and lock-up, and would stay in third until the temp guage read about 1/3 operating temp.

Reply to
Hachiroku

This is a 6 cylinder. From discussions in the Toyota truck NG, it's apparently normal, and a bit unnerving. If it's ridiculously cold, I'll drive around the neighborhood for an extra couple of minutes. No way I'd get on a highway with that happening.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

As I mentioned before, the delay in shifting into OD is designed to reduce emissions. There is no reason to drive around and stay off the highway until it shifts into OD, and you are just wasting fuel. Way back in the olden days before OD was common, people drove on highways all the time without any problems. It would be better for fuel economy and the environment if you just drove it normally.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, would you get on a highway in a vehicle that won't leave 2nd gear? Just to be sure we agree, the minimum speed on the highway in question is 45 mph.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would imagine in this case, the answer would be NO. You're a danger to yourself and others when you go slower than the designated speed and in most states, that's grounds for getting a ticket.

Reply to
mrsteveo

That is the correct response. Thank you. Judge, I got no foither use for this witness. Bailiff, give the witness a free six pack of his choice from the cooler.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What you described is different because it was unexpected. If you KNEW the car could not get out of second gear, and if you KNEW that doing a safe minimum speed in 2nd would cause the engine to rev higher than you think is a good idea, you would not get on a highway under those circumstances.

There are people who DO get on fast-moving highways and flop mindlessly into the right lane doing 37 mph. Those drivers are called names that shouldn't be repeated in front of children. These drivers are defective. There's no good reason to emulate their bad behavior.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I probably would get on a highway with a minimum speed of 45 MPH in a vehicle that won't leave 2nd gear as long as the 2nd gear ratio is such that the engine isn't over redline at whatever speed I'm driving.

The question is moot if your Toyota electronically controlled automatic transmission is functioning properly because it will upshift at redline regardless of coolant temperature. You may think you are in 2nd gear, but you are probably in 3rd with the torque converter unlocked.

Reply to
Ray O

With the variables I described earlier, it was in 2nd gear. No question about it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Would Be My Suggestion.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

If the car was is in 2nd gear, then the engine RPM was not high enough to force an upshift, or I suspect that you would have added other symptoms.

Reply to
Ray O

One might think, but it really is an odd behavior that I've never seen in other cars. I've tried getting the truck up to about 40 mph when it's dead cold, and it still won't shift out of 2nd. RPMs are definitely high enough at that speed.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom