Disabling Daytime Running Lights

Reading this thread is making me think that DRLs in the states is just like the metric system, and the Kyoto Accord. If you don't want to "jump on the bandwagon" that's fine, but come on, change can be good. Seriously, do DRLs really bother Americans that much? Is it really a life changing event? Does it really make or break your decision on purchasing a vehicle? If all vehicles came with DRLs would you just not purchase a car? Do you really feel more/less safe when driving a vehicle with DRLs?

Let's focus on the more dangerous things on the road instead of DRLs:

  1. Driving under the influence.
  2. Not wearing a safety belt.
  3. Not properly securing all cargo, including loose gravel.
  4. Not properly securing children in the back seat in a proper child seat.
  5. etc. etc.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Metrics is one system trying to replace an entrenched one, and THERE ARE economic impact problems (+ many Americans are mentally lazy). Kyoto Accord is a political scam, period.

1-4 are good, 5(?). DRLs are just a "Trip to Abilene". :)
Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

The metric system is only 35 years young in Canada.

Steve Mackie

This confuses me. Can you re-word it.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

He's saying that the willy-nilly approach to the placement of DRLs can CAUSE head-on collisions, since without uniform positioning of the DRLs, combined with low light conditions, oncoming drivers wanting to pass can be fooled into thinking the oncoming DRL-equipped vehicle is farther away than it actually is. A prime example of this is the earlier Saturn vehicles that used far inboard lighting as DRLs; whoever thought that up is likely responsible for a number of head-on collisions.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Okay I see. So regardless of the vehicle all lights should be in the same spot. This will make stupid drivers (that don't realize how much time they have to pass) better drivers. Gotcha.

What I'm saying is, the drivers that are using the excuse "his lights were in the wrong spot so I didn't realize how far away he was," should have their licence revoked.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I think the mentality is that we live in a "free country", so why should one manufacturer mandate a feature not everyone wants (FYI, Toyota also seems to have DRLs on most of its cars now I wonder if Toyota owners are as pissed as GM owners). On another note, I ALWAYS turned my lights on with my old truck (no DRLs), I'm not sure why I did that. Now I have a truck with AHLs and DRLs, the only time I turn the knob on the dash is when it's raining and it isn't dark enough to trigger the AHLs.

What bothers me more than DRLs are the people who feel the need to drive around during the day, or even in real early dusk conditions, with headlamps on and high-beams on, IN TRAFFIC. Like the bright sun isn't enough to blind other drivers..

Reply to
Mike Levy

You're still not thinking this thru. If the Saturn (in the above example) HAD its HEADLAMPS turned on in said low level light conditions, there would be zero problem with distance perception as in the preceding example. Dependence on DRLs is tricking a whole generation of drivers into forgetting to turn their lights on. Safety? I don't think so.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

You are driving at a time of low visibility, dusk, dawn, fog etc. You assume the approaching vehicle is being operated with headlamps, as required by state law. You think you have sufficient distance to pass or enter unto the highway safely. Unfortunatly you have a collision because you misjudged the distance. The approaching vehicle was in fact being operated illegally, with DRLs rather than headlamps, and was actually much closer. OK?

mike hunt

Steve Mackie wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

OK, well from all the flames, I guess I should've added that the lights still automatically come on in dark/low light conditions (that means all of them, headlights, taillights, etc), AUTOMATICALLY, so here's to the kind words from some of you!!

Reply to
S.B. Fowler

Position has nothing to do with the confusing distance perception. It is the difference in intensity of the two types of lighting and the fact that many drivers of DRL equipped vehicles operate illegally under those conditions by not tuning on their headlamps as required by law.

Do you understand now? If not I suggest you search the Congressional Record for the reports to the US Senate from the engineering departments of the universities that did the study. They came to the conclusion that DRLs cause more accidents than they prevent. That is the reason DRLs are not standard equipment in the US

Of course if you just want continue to post you personal opinion on the subject I guess you could do that instead.

mike hunt

Steve Mackie wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

If you forget to turn your lights on, and your excuse is "my car has DRLs so I didn't notice my lights weren't on" is your excuse, your licence should be revoked.

In my honest technical opinion, there is no arguement in the world that would make me say whether or not DRLs are good or bad, because honestly, I don't care. If there are drivers out there that find it distracting and unsafe, maybe they shouldn't drive. If there are drivers that find cars without DRLs unsafe, maybe they shouldn't drive.

I find armored cars distracting, with their flat windshields, reflecting the sun in my eyes. I find people doing anything but driving while they are driving harmfull to my safety. I don't look to these things as excuses for me if I make a bad decision while driving and get into an "accident". Cars are like guns when they say "guns don't kill people, people do." There is no such thing as a "car accident,", it's called "a collision caused by neglectfull or careless driving."

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I got it.

You also said something very interesting, "you have a collision because you misjudged the distance."

Think about it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I am reading the facts and forming an opinion like everyone else is.

So the driver made a mistake.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Nothing wrong with automatic lighting; I've had it on all my cars for the last

20 years or so and I think it's GREAT. Imagine, lighting when it's NEEDED. However, DRLs still suck to the MAX and the PTB that still want to perpetuate this travesty knowing the DISbenefits (negative safety factors) involved should be jailed (at least).
Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Well, someone is definitely not thinking this through. Perhaps you think that headlights on all cars are equidistant from each other. Whether someone is driving with DRL's on or headlights on, if an approaching driver misjudges the distance to said vehicle, that is plain and simply driver error. God, I hope that I'm never driving a motorcycle towards you after dark!!!

Reply to
Grayfox

That is perhaps the dumbest thing you have ever spewed forth! Do you think that all vehicle headlights have the same intensity? Do you think that all DRL's have the same intensity. I doubt that neither you nor anybody else could consistantly tell the difference between DRL's and headlights. If you judge distance to an approaching vehicles by the intensity of their lights, man you are in for a world of hurt! And I thought that you were a car guy!

Wasn't it research groups at the universities that said thalidomide was safe? Yep, if a university research group says it is true, it must be so. Beam me up Scotty!

Do you remember the name Ralph Nader? Did you believe him too?

That is the reason DRLs are not standard equipment

You seem to be suggesting that you formed your personal opinion on what appears to be suspect junk science. Hey, but that's okay. Wanna buy my '52 Chev for only $45,000? Some appraiser said it's worth $50,000.00!

Cunning Linguist

Reply to
Grayfox

No, it's not driver error; DRLs with far inboard mounts and reduced light intensity help create the ILLUSION that the oncoming 2-track vehicle is farther away than it actually is; this has been proven in independent testing. There are other ways of recognizing an approaching motorcycle at night; if you were truly a biker, you'd know that. Also, assuming you're a biker, you'd hate DRLs as much as I do; the more 2-track vehicles with DRLs that are put on the road, the less likely motorcycles are to be seen, since the former conspicuity that motorcycles enjoyed with THEIR DRLs (i.e., lights on with Run) begins to dwindle. If a motorcycle rider is in a collision with a two-track vehicle at a 100 mph collision speed, the car/truck driver will walk away. Guess what happens with the motorcycle rider about 80% of the time?

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Here we go again. Michael my boy, if you can't judge the distance of approaching vehicles regardless of whether they are using DRL's or any of the various intensity headlights, please make the world a safer place for us and stay the hell off the road. What would you do if S.B. Fowler was approaching you? As S.B. said: "I disabled my DRLs on my Grand Prix so I could have just the amber corner and fog lights on during low-light periods, ie dusk. " I guess you'd hit him right between the fogs!

The final lament of many a deceased motorist! I thought you were smarter than that. You must really get confused when a BMW appraoches you with it's unique headlights! When in doubt about the distance to an oncoming vehicle, err on the side of caution. It's as simple as that.

Reply to
Grayfox

That's no reason to continue your childish habit of driving around with your fog lights on when there is no fog! Remember? F-O-G lights!!!

Reply to
Grayfox