Dodge Challenger

How many people want to lugging the engine in 6th gear doing 55 or 60 down the highway. 6th gear is probably good at 75+.

Reply to
Percy Von Trapp III

columnists

technology

The CrapStar engine? That thing is only the second real POS from Cadillac, the first was the original 8-6-4. Talk to someone who has had to work on one.

Reply to
Steve W.

You really wouldn't drive the new Z06 in 6th gear at 55 or 60 m.p.h. If you did, you don't deserve to own the car. Even at 75 m.p.h., 4th or

5th gear are far more fun!
Reply to
Cool Jet

The Challenger drawings bring back a lot of memories of the early Challengers, right down to the misnomer "Hemi". The originals of course offered a real Hemi option, whereas the modern iteration of the Hemi is, in fact, not a real Hemi. While it has the plugs in the center of the valve covers, the heads themselves do not have hemispherical combustion chambers. It was these hemispherical combustion chambers that gave rise to the shortened "Hemi" moniker. Having gotten that off my chest, the new 5.7 liter Chrysler engine and its derivatives are producing a goodly amount of horsepower and would appear to be a strong performing engine.

The GTO was borne from the Holden Monaro, not the Ford Mondeo!!!

The "fake pickup truck thing with the convertible top that no one wants to buy" is presumably the Chevy SSR and while you're knocking it, I strongly suspect that you've never driven one. I have yet to meet anyone who has ever driven a muscle car that didn't have some level of appreciation for the SSR. It's not a rocket, but it's fun to drive and catches a lot more attention at automotive gatherings than, oh say the BMW 330i, which looks remarkably similar to a VW Passat. At least a Passat has 280 h.p. available, compared to a relatively anaemic 255 h.p. in the 330i. Which brings us to your last point GRL, no offense intended, but it would seem a little, shall we say "out of profile" for someone driving a yuppymobile to hop behind the wheel of a muscle car, with 170 more h.p. With all due respect GRL, I'd have to suggest that you're not ready for a muscle car. I'd strongly suggest that you work your way up to it, with say a Passat being more appropriate for your next h.p. step up.

Reply to
Cool Jet

No. And I don't recall seeing any indication of such a thing in any of the car books. GM just put a hold on the platform it might have been built on. Existing platforms are too expensive. So...will it be front-wheel drive?

- GRL

Reply to
nopcbs

You're right. I keep confusing the names. The Monaro is an extremely good super sports sedan, but it is no GTO. They should have marketed it as what it is instead of calling it what it never could be.

Reply to
nopcbs