Don't buy Delco sound systems!

I just fired this letter off to GM, after purchasing the $600 Delco/Bose option for my new Silverado.

I bought the Delco/Bose sound system in my new Silverado - a $600 option. I noticed that when playing CD-R disks, playback was normal until the player warmed up, and then would begin skipping. I contacted my dealer, who advised me to contact GM. I just got off the phone with the GM representative.

He tells me that this behavior is "normal" for this player, and is documented in the owner's manual. Of course, I had already taken delivery of the vehicle by the time I had access to the owner's manual, but that is really beside the point.

I have 3 computers with CD players, 2 other cars, 2 stereos, 2 boomboxes, and 3 portable CD players. That is 12 CD players that have no problem playing CD-R disks. If you were to include my previous vehicles, the count would be higher.

In the year 2004, for GM to accept that their CD players are incapable of playing CD-R disks is unacceptable. To sell an optional sound system for $600 with the knowledge that it won't perform the same task as a $19.95 portable diskman is ludicrous. Now I have to spend $300+ dollars at a stereo shop to remove the factory player and put a decent one in.

When I was growing up, my mother and father always had Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs, respectively. My last GM purchase before purchasing this truck was a 1972 Chevy Nova, 31 years ago. But I like the Silverado; I like the way it drives, and I've heard good things about GM quality for the last few years. My purchase decision came down to the Toyota Tundra or the Silverado and I chose the Silverado. But not again. Toyota would fix this sort of problem, not just document it in their owner's manual. As long as GM finds it acceptable for ANY part of their product to be sub-par, the ENTIRE product will be sub-par.

In June, I will be selling my car and buying a new one. Guess what brand I won't even consider?

Reply to
RickB

I thought that this was common knowledge - that a simple Kenwood stereo will beat a GM or Ford or Chrysler or Volvo or.. factory stereo. The only ones I see that are close in quality are on the new Toyotas and Hondas(aside from the high-end luxury brands like Infinity and BMW)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I had a factory equipped sound system with CD player (Infinity ??) in my

1989 T-Bird SC that worked and sounded great - even going over rough streets .

You'd think the auto makers would have them perfected by now.

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Reply to
Guido

CD-R disks are not reliable in any auto CD player. If one type doesn't work try another. It could also be your writer not having a strong enough write signal. Try some different disks and if available a different writer......

Reply to
BillW

"CD-R disks are not reliable in any auto CD player". I guess you're right. Except for the Ford Ranger I traded in. And my wife's VW. And my buddy's Toyota. And my BMW. And the Mazda we traded in. And, and, and.

I repeat; I was charged $600 extra for a "premium" sound system. If GM wants to compete, they can't excuse themselves by saying "everyone knows our audio sucks. If you want good audio, buy Japanese".

Reply to
RickB

I know the feeling. Actually, the one in my 96 Regal worked ok for four years before it began this skipping behavior after it heated up. Wait until it starts trying to eject then eat the disc. It will do that too... eventually. Mine actually played my CDRs with no more problem than it played regular CDs as long as you record them in .wav format. Good thing I like AM Radio anyway (yes the FM still works). Good Luck Liz

Reply to
Liz

Hate to tell you this but you cannot "just remove the factory player and replace it with aftermarket" You do that and your truck won't even start. It is connected to the data bus and the computer uses it to generate the various chimes, and a few other things also.

My father just got his new Silverado and has the same problems, he tried a few different brands of CD-Rs and in his I think it was black CD-Rs from Teac or TDK (forget but they were black, that worked good and didn't skip. I believe the problem is that the laser has problems with the reflectivity on a silver disc.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hmmmmm - I use CDR's and CDR/W's in my '02 Impala without any problems. If you put stick-on labels on them - don't. Also, don't buy the EL-cheapo disks because they are notorious for problems (stick with good brand names) because sometimes a bargain is only a bargain at the register. Not all CD's are compatible with all CD players (just read the info with any good CD burner).

Reply to
Rich B

No, it won't cause the vehicle not to start. The only reasons for the data bus connection are for the anti-theft function of the radio, which prevents it from working in another vehicle, and on some vehicles, the radio generates the chimes. The last part is something of a pain when replacing the radio, but you can get an aftermarket module that connects into the wiring harness and replaces that function.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Are you sure Bob? I can program a lot of the interior lighting, door lock, etc. functions through the radio in my '02 Impala. I've heard that you can adapt other radios but you lose certain functions in the vehicle.

Reply to
Rich B

Didn't have a problem with my 99 sunfire, or my 03 monte carlo (I put in aftermarket decks in each of them, but only to add MP3 playback.

Try to burn the disk at a slower speed, 1x-2x is good for CD-A, if you burn a disk too fast it makes it harder for the reader to read, expecially if the CD writer is on its way out.

Reply to
Paradox

I'd really like to know whos propogating that rumor... the worse it does is kill the door chime, and make it so your oil change light doesnt turn on. If you have OnStar then that will get disabled. In which case just relocate the radio to the trunk/under a seat with a Metra wiring kit.

Thats the worst reason to not buy a chevy I think I've ever seen.

Reply to
Paradox

One writer has the correct response. CDRs vary significantly in quality. Do a search on the net about this. Among the best of CDRs is Fuji. Also, the quality of the CDR/W drive is another important point in the performance chain, as well as burn speed. Aftermarket? Guess what, the components are pretty much from a small set of manufacturers, so buying an aftermarket unit will essentially get you a different faceplate. Some more capable, some less, and some with better specs, but overall the factory unit is more durable, and has better ergonomics. So please try to understand that you may have to do some experimentation to find the right set of CDRs, software, and hardware for the performance you require.

Reply to
Baboo

I've been reading through this post and I would like to propose two simple suggestions the following issue. This has worked for me and my co-workers.

  1. Burn the music CD at the slowest speed possible. This allows the CD burner to sit in one place for a longer period of time, this allows for a better quality "burn"
  2. Like it was mentioned before use high quality disks. There are some out there labeled as certified. These supposedly go through a more stringent QC process.

Please try this before giving up on your $600 option.

Currently I use Memorex CD-R 700MB (80 min) 48x multispeed CD's burning at 2x or 4x with either my Pioneer DVD writer or with my DVD/CDRW on my Compaq Evo N610. I got the CD's at Wal-Mart, they are not certified, but I have never had a CD not play in the car. I use Nero Burning ROM for to convert and burn my CD's.

I currently use a Remanufactured Sony head unit, that i got for $75 at an outlet mall here in Texas. The manual says that CD-R's may play but are not supported, but they play just as good as a manufactured pressed CD, no skipping or garbled music.

I do have a small issue using all 80 minutes of the music, so I keep the play time down to around 70. I lose 10 minutes of play time, but music isn't the only reason i use CD-R's.

I hope this works out for you. Please let me know.

Reply to
nanook

Reply to
Lostinda80's

I have used Imation, Fuji, Maxell, Verbatim, and many other brands of CD-Rs ranging in speeds from 4x to 52x in many different computers with CD-RW drives ranging in speeds from 1x to 52x. Of the dozens and dozens of CD-Rs I have made using various combinations of equipment and blank CDs, I have yet to create a disc that doesn't play perfectly in the factory AM/FM/cassette/CD radio in my '99 Buick Regal LS. The only problem CD I hever had an an Imation CD that I had damaged by accidently scraping off the reflective surface when it got caught underneath the power seat mechanism (oops). CDs that my mom creates with her 8x burner and various brands of CDs also seem to play just fine in her '02 Impala.

There is a warning in both our owner's manuals concerning the fact they they cannot guarantee CD-Rs will play due to variations in CD-Rs, burners, and software. IMO, this is an acceptable risk and a necessary disclaimer on for GM. However, I suppose that I'm one of the satisfied customers who has yet to experience a problem in my five years of ownership. If my player stopped playing CD-Rs today, I would not be upset since it wasn't designed to play CD-Rs anyway. It was designed to play CDs, not CD-Rs or CD-RWs. It's a CD player, not a CD-R player, LOL.

My brother's factory AM/FM/CD/MP3 player in his '03 Focus plays CDs and CD-Rs containing either CDA or MP3 files. It does not, however, play CD-RWs. I don't like this, since I would like to burn a hundred or so MP3s to a CD-RW and be able to reformat and reuse it again and again. But, it does work precisely as explained in the owner's guide - it plays CD and CD-R, but not CD-RW.

Just my 2 cents, Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Are you doing a disc to disc copy? Writing from an image file? MPG?

I had this problem until I tried various ways of copying to find one that worked.....

since the option does not perform as expected, have it removed.....

research Consumer Sales Acts in your state..

john

Reply to
asadi

fwiw, the Monsoon/Delco in my 2001 Trans Am plays CDR's just fine. Doesn't do RW disks tho. I've found the slower the burn, the better the skip resistance. Applies to my stock radio, the wife's beretta (Alpine) and my Jimmy (Kenwood) cd players.

Ray

Reply to
ray

I'll concur with that.. I was very unhappy with CD-Rs in my car until a professional sound engineer suggested I burn them at a slower speed. That cured the skip problem...

Jim

Reply to
Jim Everman

Burning them at a slower speed sounds like a good idea, I think that I'll start doing that - just for insurance. I currently burn my disks at 38x because all my disks are name brand and certified to 40x or 48x. I've found that you can get good deals on disks at the office supply stores so I stock up when they're on sale (I currently have 300 CDR blanks on hand) but I never use CDRW due to the fact that they're too finicky (and once I burn a disk, it's done period!). BTW, Radio Shack has a special till 12/24 on 50 Phillips CDR's for $4.99 (after a $15 mail-in rebate). Also, Office Depot has a buy one-get-one-free sale on a 50-pack of Maxell CDR's ($19.95).

Reply to
Rich B