DRL question

Just bought a used '95 Beretta. First car I've ever owned that had DRLs, I'm just curious if this is normal operation.

The car is supposed to automatically switch to headlights when it gets dark (there is a sensor somewhere) otherwise it's DRLs. If I start the car with the emergency brake off, the DRLs act normally. However if I start it with the e-brake on, when I release it the HEADLIGHTS come on, not the DRLs (dash & tail lights are on ,too). Is it supposed to do this, or is the DRL module funky?

Where is (1) the sensor and (2) the DRL module located?

Reply to
Bobby The D

I don't know about the exact problem you have, but I can tell you that for one, the E-Brake being on will disable the DRL's and or the auto lights, and as for the sensor, in all of my cars that have had one, and all that I have seen that have the auto lights, the sensor is beneath a hole in the top of the dash board. Sometimes where one of the speaker covers are, sometimes in the middle of the dash, sometimes on one of the sides, but I have never seen a GM car with the sensor anywhere else other then in the top of the dash board.

Reply to
80 Knight

Assuming it's daylight, the behavior is not normal. The DRL should come on when releasing the parking brake...not the regular lights. On some vehicles the car needs to be in gear as well.

The sensor is located on the top of the dashboard...usually behind the defrost grille or speaker grill. Sometimes it protrudes slightly.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Just wondering if you might be doing this in a garage (dark).

Reply to
HRL

Nope. Outside. Sunny day. I found the sensor...gonna try to clean it in case it's dirty and thinks it's dark out. Odd that it only mis-behaves when I start it with the e-brake engaged. Almost sounds like the module might have a problem. Any ideas where that's hidden?

Reply to
Bobby The D

The module should be behind the right side of dash above the glove box. There is a diode assembly in the same general area and the photo resistor on the top center of dash.

Reply to
LeBuick