EGR, P0401, Slime Everywhere

Friends,

We have a 1998, Lumina, V6, 3.1 with 88, 500 miles. A few months ago it seemed to have an EGR problem. Here is the link to the previous thread:

There was a lot of carbon buildup and the pintle seemed to be stuck open. I cleaned with carb cleaner and cleared the codes and it was okay for a while.

The 'Check Engine' light came on again and gave the code P0401 (EGR Insufficient Flow). It ran okay except for a slightly rough idle. I just took the EGR off. The bottom of the valve, the metal flexible tube that comes from the exhaust system, and the manifold going into the engine is filled with (if you'll pardon the terminology) a greyish or dull green snot like slime. It's really the consistency of snot with some black stuff in it that I assume is carbon. Any ideas what is causing this. It's really gross.

Steve

Reply to
scorpioex1

Shep

Shep,

Thanks for answering. No, It doesn't seem to be. Any possibility it is coming from the catalitic converter? As stated in my original post the very first thing noticed was the rotten egg smell several months ago. The only other thing done was I replaced the fuel tank about a month and half ago.

Steve

Reply to
scorpioex1

Did you clean the ports feeding to the EGR valve. They are probably blocked as well. It is also possible the EGR valve itself is bad. Get a service manual and follow the procedure for the code.

Reply to
Woody

Woody,

I cleaned everything and bought a used EGR then cleared the code with a reader. It didn't make any difference. I Haynes manual but it really doesn't say much about this code (P0401).

Reply to
scorpioex1