EV1 Electric Car was CRUSHED by GM,,GM finds it has crushed itself, too

Old Klingon Proverb: "Revenge is a dish best savored cold" - Khan Noonien Singh, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

EV1 Electric Car was CRUSHED by GM, GM finds it has crushed itself, too

Jim Higgins

You might check you facts before you comment. The federal government REQUIRED GM to destroy all of the EV1 they owned, after the test period had expired on the car that was built under exception to federal regulations as an experimental vehicle.

EV1 could NOT be legally sold to the public and were only leased to the public at a monomial fee.

Reply to
Mike

In that day GM got what it wanted and has now come to really rue *that* day. They could have been on top of EVs but they chose to flush themselves down the toilet. Happy C11/C7 GM, the EV-1 is chuckling.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

I agree, further, if they had kept it they would have had 10 years head start on everyone else with the technology- a lot happens in ten years when the tech is in the market.

Reply to
raamman

I agree, further, if they had kept it they would have had 10 years head start on everyone else with the technology- a lot happens in ten years when the tech is in the market.

Reply to
Mike

No one ever accused the Feds and GM of being intelligent. Just think of the lead GM *could* have had in EVs but instead flushed it.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Probably didn't meet federal safety standards, so it wasn't marketable anyway.

Don't blame GM for that though, blame Nader, Claybrook and all the other people who think that we need to be saved from ourselves and likely haven't ever as much as sat in on a single engineering-related class.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

i think they only built 800 it had a range of approx 100 mi. they couldnt give them away on cheap leases, i dont think they ever leased them all. think back to 92 and the price of oil and gas. do you think if you ran the business you would have kept selling these at a loss, when everyone at the that time including all the media kept knocking it, it was not until 10 or 15 years later that someone thought it was a good idea. The best you can come up with is that GM failed. Tell me what would have you have done it it was your business You all seem to know how to run a car company, let us hear your well thought out idea. No talking points tell me what you would do. Smart a** answers excluded. use that date state of the are and materials in you answer.

Reply to
Tom

GM and Chrysler will be/are in bankruptcy, not Toyota and Honda.Detroit Planning(?) is its own reward.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Take a look at the Zero Emissions laws for the states where GM test marketed the EV-1. Those laws were put in place to FORCE some folks to use the EV-1 and bus lines to buy natural gas or propane buses. The EV-1 was a real POS. They were HATED by 99% of the people who had them. I have talked to a few folks who drove them for their jobs and they said that the motor controls were constantly burning out and the batteries would lose capacity in a few weeks of actual use.

Reply to
Steve W.

Spoken like a true GM Hack.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

..

..

apparently they lobbied washington hard to overrule californias epa standards that forced to introduction of the electric car. if they had lobbied to extend the lowering of federal safety standards or whatever it was that allowed the ev1 to go on the road in the first place it is reasonable to assume they would have got it. it seems gm just wanted to kill the electric car any way it could

Reply to
raamman

doesn't matter, he'll be out of a job soon

Reply to
raamman

Try some research on the Corvair, a well designed car indeed. Corporations don't try to kill you, but they won't spend a lot of money to keep you alive either. The design was not very forgiving if you got the tire pressure wrong. Policy among all car makers still is, never admit a mistake just call it an improvment.

Reply to
George Jetson

Of all the cars I've owned, the '62 Corvair Monza was my favorite. Handled very well, comfortable on long tips. Only thing lacking today would be AC. If they started making them again, I'd be in line to get one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In the software industry it would be "a feature, not a bug".

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Having done quite a bit of time reading up on the EV-1 program, -all- of the documentaries I've found that featured former EV-1 owners show the exact opposite of what you are stating above. Wonder why?

Did you personally own/drive/repair an EV-1?

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Just so long as he keeps his grubby hands off our tax money to keep him going at GM. No bailouts!

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Don't count on it. Obama has his ego on the line for Oba-mama-mobile made by Government Motors.

Rumor has it Obama is going to pork a record amount into GM and roll over the taxpayer.

Reply to
Canuck57

Thank You. Hope the screwball world you live in lasts unitl you are in depends and walk with a walker, Just remember the guy that took all of your money with my grubby hands. I will have a good life.

just to tell the truth i have a small gm pension, a pension fund that i paid into, soc. sec. and a 401k health care that the gov pays, and to top it off i get a good discount on cars.

good night loser.????????

Reply to
Tom