Finally caught person responsible for a door ding, now what do I do?

How many of you have said, while looking at a brand new door ding on your beloved auto, "I wish I knew who did this?". Well, my prayers have been answered...along with a nice new scratch, I have the culprits who did it...So what do I do now? The scratch is too deep to "buff out", and I presume the only other choices are to live with it or get the whole panel re-painted at a cost of $500 or more.

If it matters, the scratch was caused by a couple of Wal-Mart employee's (kids) that were horsing around while retrieving shopping carts. They ran the carts right into my car! Had I not observed them in the act, I have no doubt that they would have told no one and the incident would have been yet another unsolved door ding.

I would appreciate some "net wisdom" as to what to do about this.

The car is a couple years old, with a couple other door dings, but I try and park away from other cars, and try to keep my car looking nice. At times I almost think that some people target nicer vehicles and ding their doors on purpose.

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Dan Kuechle

Check dentworks or similar paintless dent/ding repair places. If they can push it out from the inside, it'll take less time and you won't have body putty, repainting, etc.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Dan, I believe that Walmart is responsible for its employee's actions while they are on the job. I would speak to the manager and ask him how he would like to handle the repair bill.

Reply to
Sting Ray

Go into the store and go to the Customer service desk. Ask to speak to the store manager. Explain the problem to him/her. Then give him the person(s) name(s) and have him/her fill out a damage claim. They will submit it and their insurance will pay to have the damage repaired to your satisfaction. Do it ASAP though since they only allow a short time for claims. It wouldn't hurt to have the person(s) write up a statement as well. That will help a LOT.

Reply to
Steve W.

I always park far away too to help prevent the dings, and I too say "if anyone dings it I hope I find out who it is." I'd confront them about it and tell them that you want them to pay for the damage that they have caused to your ride. If they say they won't, do like Sting Ray said and talk with their manager.

If they still won't do anything, find the guys car and pay him back, lol j/k

Reply to
twins0203

What Stingray and Steve W. said. But you should have done it immediately. H

Reply to
Hairy

If you want it fixed and aren't a pro yourself, then I see two paths. One is to get Wally World's insurance to pay for it. Two is to get your insurance to pay for it. Most times for any insurance to pay, it helps to have confronted the other party and filed complaints right away. A police report might be a good thing. See if the police can help you gain access to the relevant section of the surveillance footage (if applicable). That might be what's needed for Wally to know you are for real.

That doesn't mean it's too late yet though. If you end up going through your insurance, weight the deductible against your vanity and or future resale value.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Report them to the store manager:

Ultimately, the company is responsible for their actions, and will pay. Then hold them responsible for the amount.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King