Front End Noise in Regal

I have a 1995 Regal 3.8 with 212 K that has developed a particularily nasty noise in the front end. Two mechanics told me the front end is tight. It sounds like ball joint noise to me . I was under the car both times with the mechanics as they were prying and poking etc. I wonder if it could be the strut mounts. I've owned Buicks enough to know when it isn't obvious it is probably a mount making noise. Any thoughts. Thanks

Reply to
JRL

What is the "particularly nasty noise"? Is it a grind, a thump, a creak? Worn bearings on the top of the struts will cause any or all of those.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

R.I.P

Reply to
abomb69

So...

What does a "really bad ball joint sound like to you"? You are not describing things but you expect advise.

You "guess a thump"? Is it a thump or not?

Then you go on to suspect bearings or a strut. Maybe you should just fix this yourself and not post to the group.

If you can't describe the symptoms, how do you expect any real advise from anyone?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

S.T.U.P.I.D.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
jrl

Reply to
jrl

Yeahbut... I don't want to assume what you may mean by your description. It's not very definitive. Try to describe the noise again.

As for the strut bearings - yup, they are on the top of the strut and bear between the strut tower and the strut so that when you turn there is a bearing surface to carry the rotation. It's easy enough to get the struts out, but you'll need someone with a strut compressor to actually replace the bearings - it that's the problem.

Reply to
Mike Marlow