GM's return policy may not be worth the hassle

The Devil is indeed in the details.

GM's return policy may not be worth the hassle

DAN STRUMPF Associated Press

You fell in love with that $22,000 Chevy Malibu because of its color, style and price. After driving it home, you realize it's not what you wanted. Maybe it's the way it handles on the highway, the location of the cup holders or the shape of the seats.

Don't worry. Bring it back for a refund, no questions asked, says GM's Chairman and new TV pitchman Edward Whitacre Jr.

But is it really as easy as returning an ill-fitting shirt to Macy's?

As with any deal, it's a good idea to read the fine print. As your love affair with the new car turns to hate, you'll need to drive very carefully and make sure to limit how many miles you put on the car. And don't expect your wallet to be made whole even if you follow the fine print to the letter.

Q : So, I can bring back my car or truck to the dealer anytime?

A : Not so fast. No returns are allowed within the first 30 days of purchase. It's anytime between day 31 and day 60 of ownership.

That seems like a narrow window, but the policy makes sense for GM. Buyer's remorse can set in within days for new customers, who grouse over things like knobs and cup holders appearing to be in the wrong place. Owners can grow more accepting of problems over time, says Jack Gilles, director of public affairs for the Consumer Federation of America.

Q : Do I have to cite a defect?

A : No. You can hate the color for all GM cares. But the policy says a returned vehicle can't have more than $200 in damage -- and GM, through an inspection, gets to decide what constitutes that much damage.

Q : Wow, $200? Doesn't even a small scratch or dimple caused by kicked-up gravel cost that much to fix?

A : It's true the cost of vehicle repairs -- even small, cosmetic ones

-- can easily exceed $200. (Repairs covered by warranty are excluded.) But GM insists it had to set a limit to protect itself from customers returning badly damaged vehicles and expecting a full refund.

Gilles says the $200 limit is on the low side -- particularly when coupled with the prohibition on returning before 30 days.

"You combine that with the 30 days, it's easier and easier to get $200 in damage," he says. Plus, with GM making the determination on damages, "it may appear that the cards are stacked against you."

The lesson for consumers: Be extra careful during those first two months if you're thinking about returning your new ride. And no car can be returned if it's been in an accident.

Q : If I keep the car free of dings, I get all my money back?

A : In this case, "money back" doesn't mean all your money. Just the cost of the vehicle and sales tax.

GM won't refund the title, registration and other fees, which can add up to several hundred dollars depending on your state.

"It's not really unfair because otherwise you've rented the car for free for 30 to 60 days," says Terry Connolly, dean of the Ageno School of Business at Golden Gate University.

GM also won't refund any accessories purchased through the dealer, like paint or rust protection, aftermarket equipment and the like. So choose those add-ons carefully if you think you might return the car.

Q : What else do I need to look out for?

A : Don't go on a cross-country jaunt. The new car or truck cannot have more than 4,000 miles on it. Also, owners must be current on payments.

Forget buying his and hers pickup trucks. Only one return is allowed per household. In addition, leased vehicles are not covered.

And GM says if you die, no refund.

The program started Sept. 14 and runs through Nov. 30, which is the last day customers can take delivery of their new vehicles to qualify for a refund.

Q : How does this compare with the Hyundai Assurance program?

A : The Hyundai Assurance program, which the Korean automaker launched in January, also allows buyers to return their vehicle. But the key difference is a buyer is eligible only if he or she loses their source of income. In addition, the policy kicks in after two months of ownership, but is good for a year.

Q : If I return my vehicle and everything is in order, will I get my old car back?

A : No. According to GM spokesman Pete Ternes, dealers aren't obligated to return the car you traded in. In any case, after 30 days it's probably sitting on a used-car lot or in the hands of another driver. Instead, the dealer will treat the value of your trade-in as money toward your new car and refund you the full price, Ternes says.

Q : What happens to my returned car?

A : Dealers will put the returned vehicles up for sale on their used car lots. GM, through an insurer, then reimburses the dealer for any loss he or she takes on the refund.

Q : How much could this program wind up costing GM?

A : GM bought an insurance policy through the firm cynoSure Financial Inc. to cover the cost of any reimbursements, spokesman John McDonald says. The policy was purchased using funds from GM's marketing budget, which that automaker does not disclose.

Q : With all the restrictions, why would anyone want to participate in this program?

A : Several consumer experts say the hassle isn't worth it, particularly when you consider that GM is quietly offering an incentive NOT to participate.

Customers who waive the return policy receive a $500 rebate toward the purchase of their vehicle. The sensible choice seems to be to settle on the car you really want and take the rebate, says Gilles of the Consumer Federation of America. "In my book, spend a little more time checking the car out and take the 500 bucks."

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Sure is. But you and I were right on the day it was announced.

Not hard to do, 6 days after I bought my F150 I got two rock chips into the windshield. Fine print is everything.

There is amore incidious reason for 31 to 60 days. By that time your credit score knows of the loan. Now most who need to take loans, do so marginally. To swap vehicles with once mortage in place and to buy another is super risky so getting another ride for many is impractical.

LOL. Does that include if the accident was via a GM defect?

It isn't costing GM anything at all. Government Motors is getting it's money from you and I via debt-taxation, corporate welfare and corruption moneys from BO's TARP slush fund.

And GM zealots thought is was easy confidence move.

Switch and bait. Return policy in fact then costs you $500. Not free.

Reply to
Canuck57

Let me ask this...$22,000 is a pretty cheap price. GM has been losing a fortune, and continues to bleed.

How do they continue to sell cheap products like this, even though they are losing money, without being called for "dumping".

I think we all know that it IS, in effect, dumping, but where does the legal aspect cave in?

Reply to
hls

Let me ask this...$22,000 is a pretty cheap price. GM has been losing a fortune, and continues to bleed.

How do they continue to sell cheap products like this, even though they are losing money, without being called for "dumping".

I think we all know that it IS, in effect, dumping, but where does the legal aspect cave in?

Reply to
hls

Let me ask this...$22,000 is a pretty cheap price. GM has been losing a fortune, and continues to bleed.

How do they continue to sell cheap products like this, even though they are losing money, without being called for "dumping".

I think we all know that it IS, in effect, dumping, but where does the legal aspect cave in?

Reply to
hls

GM has already lost everyhing and then some.

Taxpayers now have that burden. At least when Obama's credit card comes due.

Government Motors. Can you accuse the government of dumping?

Sure is. Obama-law, is his own. Ask the shafted GM (Old) bond holders. Judge didn't even give a reason, just dismissed their claims.

Reply to
Canuck57

Ok, lets sum this up:

1: Car must be returned between 30 and 60 days after purchase. 2: Car can not have more then $200 of damage. 3: You won't get title and regestration fees back. 4: You don't get that rust protector you bought back. 5: You can only drive 4,000 miles. 6: If you die, no refunds. 7: GM's plan is much better then Hyundai's, but the blogger who wrote this review is too biased to admit it.

Wow, all I see here are things that are normal. Does Wal-Mart take back shirts that you have worn for 3 months, spilled things on, and torn? I think not. Hell, every car I have rented has had more requirements then GM's plan. Try returning that rental with even the smallest scratch, and see what happens. If someone is so biased they can't see the good in this program, they really need to look at another maker.

Reply to
80 Knight

I honestly dont think I am biased. Buy the car if you like.

This sort of plan appeals to a very defined segment of the US population.

If it works for you, DO IT>

Reply to
hls

From what I have read from you HLS, you are indeed biased. You are still fuming about the gasket failure on your 1990's GM. I'm not saying you shouldn't be, I'm only saying you are biased.

What sort of the population are you talking about though? Seems like a decent deal to me. If you buy the car, and don't like it, take it back.

Reply to
80 Knight

It isnt that simple, and you KNOW it.

This offer appeals to the people who are least likely to be able to afford a decent car. Entice them in, and to hell with them if they didnt read the fine print.

Reply to
hls

The alternative, of course, is to offer them nothing.

I don' t know how you arrived at this is aimed at people that can least afford a decent car. The offer this on the high end cars too. How many people will buy the Lucerne on the 60 day trial because they can't afford a used Corolla?

Sure, it is an advertising gimmick, but it is not difficult to comply with the terms. My car is approaching 3 years and it still does not have that $200 in damage allowed. Nor am I dead.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We have already gone through all the "cons" about the offer. None seem out of the ordinary.

This makes no sense. Are you saying people who can't afford a decent car are stupid? 'Cause, if your not, I don't understand what you are trying to say. To me, this offer is great for anyone, and would be great on any model of car from any manufacture. If I buy a TV from Wal-Mart, and don't like it, I can bring it back (even if it's a $3000 plasma), but what if you don't like how your new car drives, or feels on a long trip? Sure, you can research the car you like, test drive it, and so on, but do you really know how you are going to like it until you get it home? I doubt it. This offer lets you take the car back if you don't like it. I don't see how that only applies to poor people.

Reply to
80 Knight

Bitch about GM prices! Bitch about GM bailout! Bitch about GM quality! Bitch about their return policy, and you haven't even bought one!

I suspect that your pussy hurts.

Get a midol.

Reply to
Scott

I reiterate.. this is a stupid promotion. It is not a great deal for anyone.

Reply to
hls

Stupid is a harsh word. There is no cure for stupid.. There is a cure for ignorant.

People who are ignorant, and poor or of modest income, and who want to get what appears to be something for nothing might be enticed. And if they get tangled in the system, who really cares?

I wouldnt take a 60 trial ownership of any car. It makes no sense.

Reply to
hls

You have to qualify for the purchase, Pay full amount, or finance with applicable down payment, all taxes, title fees. etc. under todays financing rules that means a good credit score etc. if you return it you wont get your trade in back only the amount paid so your trade in amount would have been below resale amout you could have got selling it to a private person etc. So if you are just trying it out for a test then return it its going to cost you. I dont think that people who cant afford a car will be buying and returning/

Reply to
Tom

I agree, they probably will not buy and return. That is what makes this plan look ridiculous to me.

Dealerships have, in the past, played some real games with people's credit, however. My ex-brother in law worked at a Cadillac dealership in one of the three largest towns in Texas. I know some of the stunts he pulled to get people into cars they probably couldnt afford. And, they thought it was good fun to take these people's used cars for nothing and sell them the new car for full price. Smoke and mirrors, plus people who are salivating to have a new car.

There was one cultural subsegment that they targeted in particular. You can probably guess.

Reply to
hls

Huh? How is anyone getting something for nothing? GM isn't giving you a car for free to try for 60 days. You have to pay for it up front, and if you don't like it, and return it, then and only then do you get your money back. Do you avoid Wal-Mart and other department stores because they have a "trial ownership" too?

Reply to
80 Knight

HLS, your not making any sense here. GM's return plan has absolutely nothing to do with helping people with lower income's obtain a car. It isn't a loan program, or a finance program, and it isn't offering them a better price for a vehicle. It's a return policy, nothing more. I think you are seeing more here then there actually is to see.

Reply to
80 Knight

\Knight, I like you, but I think you have fallen out of a tree.

I dont avoid GM because they offer this stupid program. It is just, IMO, a stupid promotion...

I dont know that I have ever bought anything that carried a trial ownership, and the thought of it just doesnt appeal to me. I make my decisions, usually based on research, reports, owners....then I buy....or not.

I just think trial ownership is stupid...a waste of time.

Reply to
hls