Headlight Malfunction

I have a '99 Pontiac Bonneville with Automatic Headlights.

The automatic feature is no longer working reliably, but I love the feature and would like to fix it.

When it is dark (night, parking garage, etc.) The headlights do not come on automatically, ocassionally the auto feature works. But mostly, I need to turn on the headlights manually. When using my remote entry, I noticed a flicker in the headlights (during the unlock/lock report) and the tail lights no longer turn-on at all.

I recently cleaned the battery terminals and found a lot of corrosion on the positive terminal. The battery is only 1.5 years old, it seems to working fine. The car starts in all kinds of weather.

Does anyone have any ideas what maybe going bad?

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
Phil

Have you tried spinning the dail? Sometimes the contacts go bad. Also there is a sensor for day and night on the dash.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Relay going bad maybe?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

It is possible that the ambient light sensor (located on dashboard) for the twilight sentinel is faulted. I believe the body control module controls these functions (security feedback & twilight sentinel)

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

Why would the ambient sensor cause the abnormal light flash problem when using the remote entry fob?

| > > The automatic feature is no longer working reliably, but I love the | > > feature and would like to fix it. | > >

| > > When it is dark (night, parking garage, etc.) The headlights do not | > > come on automatically, ocassionally the auto feature works. But | > > mostly, I need to turn on the headlights manually. When using my | > > remote entry, I noticed a flicker in the headlights (during the | > > unlock/lock report) and the tail lights no longer turn-on at all. | > >

| > > I recently cleaned the battery terminals and found a lot of corrosion | > > on the positive terminal. The battery is only 1.5 years old, it seems | > > to working fine. The car starts in all kinds of weather. | > >

| > > Does anyone have any ideas what maybe going bad? | > >

| > > Thanks, | > > Phil | > >

| > Have you tried spinning the dail? Sometimes the contacts go bad. Also | > there is a sensor for day and night on the dash. | |

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
markwb

I interpreted part of what "Bon·ne·ville" wrote in his/her post as meaning that the tail lights no longer light up when using the remote fob either...so I assumed they used too at one time. Bon·ne·ville's comment:

" When using my remote entry, I noticed a flicker in the headlights (during the unlock/lock report) and the tail lights no longer turn-on at all."

I _think_ "Bon·ne·ville" is trying to say that the light feedback report function (from activating the controls on the remote fob) are not working as they used to work...that the tail lights used to light up (flash also) when using the fob and now no longer are. Perhaps he/she could clarify?

If my interpretation is correct (and it may not be) then I don't think the problem is from the ambient light sensor.

| |

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Whoa wait what? Those arent my quotes. I was addressed the twilight=20 sentinel problem only. Not sure why the taillights no longer report=20 other than burnt out bulbes. Havent looked into the wiring diagram on=20 any of that yet because I've never seen or had that problem.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Oops, sorry it was a post by "Phil"

Reply to
James C. Reeves

James,

You are correct. Before my problem developed whenever I used the key fob, the headlights and taillights would flash (report). Now, only the headlights flash, but now there is a flicker within the headlight flash.

I also agree that the sensor in the dash is probably not the cause.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Ok at a quick glance the problem may be with your RFA, Remote Function Actuator Module.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

James, How does the RFA interact with the "auto-on" headlight feature not turning the headlights on at night?

I have notices that my key fob does not respond as quickly nor with the distance it once did. I even got a fresh battery and tried the spare fob.

Where is the RFA? How do I test it?

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Your RFA's tied into your headlights and parking lights among other=20 things. If your cars response seems slow that might indicate a week=20 battery. With a Bonneville you can get some weird symtoms sometimes from=20 the battery alone. You might even have a bad ground somewhere. Try=20 charging your system for a few hours then see how the keyless entry=20 system behaves. Your RFA module is located just above the passenger floorboard area I=20 think. You'll need a manual to identify it and to check it out. Also=20 looking at the schematics I can see the LCM (lamp control modual) and=20 the RFA module are linked together. The LCM is where the Ambient light=20 sensor is tied in at so there is the correlation between your twilight=20 sentinel not working right and your report from your lights not working.=20 It might be a ground thats not very good around there. You'll need=20 either an OEM manual, which isnt cheap, or those GM SI 2000 disk that=20 you can get on ebay usually. Or take it to a technician to get worked=20 on. At least I think I got you on the right track for where to start=20 looking I hope. Not much more I can help you with if you dont have a=20 manual to look at as well. Btw what group are you looking in? I dont=20 want to keep cross posting this.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

| > > James, | > >

| > > You are correct. Before my problem developed whenever I used the key | > > fob, the headlights and taillights would flash (report). Now, only the | > > headlights flash, but now there is a flicker within the headlight | > > flash. | > >

| > > I also agree that the sensor in the dash is probably not the cause. | > >

| > > Phil | > >

| > Ok at a quick glance the problem may be with your RFA, Remote Function | > Actuator Module. | | James, | How does the RFA interact with the "auto-on" headlight feature not | turning the headlights on at night? | | I have notices that my key fob does not respond as quickly nor with | the distance it once did. I even got a fresh battery and tried the | spare fob. | | Where is the RFA? How do I test it? | | Phil

Actually Bon·ne·ville came up with the RFA suggestion. I'll need to defer to him since I haven't any idea. :-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves