Help! Lemee Outa Here.

Is it just me, or does this make no sense to others here?

For the last couple of months when following SWMBO's car at night I noticed that one end of the illuminated red panel across the trunk lid of her car didn't seem lit as brightly as the rest of that strip.

I figgered (correctly) that a bulb had failed and finally set out to change it today.

I had to unfasten a stiff-carpet like liner from the inside of the car's trunk lid to gain access to seven nuts which secured the light assembly to the trunk lid so that I could remove it and reach the bulb sockets on it's backside.

The job went OK and I was pleased to find that my "hell box" of auto bulbs and fuses held the exact bulb I needed to finish the job without having to make a trip to a parts store.

Now to my point...

UNDER the carpet like trunk lid liner I noticed the emergency trunk release handle which could let someone trapped in the trunk escape.

But, how the hell would somebody who didn't know that emergency handle was hidden by the trunk lid liner possibly think to try and reach it by ripping the liner off? (There is no opening in the liner to reach that handle through.)

FWIW SWMBO's jalopy is a 2003 Buick Century which she's still driving because it had less than 90,000 miles on it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I forgot to mention that before I finished up today I cut a hole in the trunk lid liner to expose the emergency release handle so it could be "located by feel" by someone stuck in the trunk.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Sounds like the wifes Liberty. It's a damn SUV. No possible way you could get "locked in the trunk" It doesn't have one!! But stamped into the rear gate plastic is an outline that the owners manual tells you is the access to the rear gate emergency release! What it doesn't say is that the release does unlatch the gate, BUT it doesn't release the glass that latches into the top of the gate !!

Just a brilliant design all around...

Reply to
Steve W.