Help, new car, bad tires, what now?

I recently purchased an 05 Tahoe with a Regency coversion from the Chevy dealer in town. I expected everything to be up to snuff just like in every other new Chevy I have ever driven. BUT, no, Regency put Goodyear LS P275 55 R 20's and new wheels on the car. Well, the wheel shake was so bad over 60 that the car was impossible to drive. The sales staff told me that that was just that the tires were flat from sitting and it should work out in about 300 miles. That was beginning to make me boil over but instead I just parked it and used the old Suburban over the holidays. When they reopened, I went back to the Chevy dealer and requested a check for $1000. or 4 new tires. After heavy discussion, I said that I would pay to have the wheels balanced this time, they could pay the next time. They took the Tahoe in back and in no time I saw a service man talk to the salesman. There were two bad tires on the car. They replaced those with two Goodyear LS-2 series tires and by that time, the front end was off, steering wheel canted to right the car drifted to left of road and was miserable to drive. Fed up but not ready to throw in the towel, I took it back to the Chevy dealer and in three hours they re-aligned the front end and balanced the two OLDER tires. The ones installed at D**c**t Tires were not re-balanced. Now, nearly ready to boil over, I took the car to my tire shop and the guys went over everything. One of the replacement tires was still out of balance and took 8 ounces of weight. The car drives better but not what I would expect of this car. A buddy of mine can get me four new Michelan LTX M/S for cost and I plan to replace the tires during the week. Since Goodyear replaced two tires under warranty, and I want the others removed, and the car is still less than a month old, does anybody know who I can complain to to get my money back for the new tires??? Chevy, Regency, Goodyear or the dealer? Or all four? I took the dealers decal off this car and feel that the dealer should be the one to reimburse me but how do I make that happen?

By the way, I read the tire reviews for the not so Goodyear tires at the Tire Rack and no one liked these tires save one guy with a Volvo.

TPBeach

Reply to
Azonie

Ask to speak to the zone rep. D'ship should supply his contact info. Tell d'ship you wish to talk to him and lean toward believing it is GM's problem--not the d'ship=more cooperation, as now you are on the side of the d'ship teaming up against GM's footing the bill. Keep in mind that some states have lemon laws whereby if a new car experiences same problem after taking it in 3rd time for correction, the buyer MAY be able to request (and obtain) a GM 'buy-back'. Using this for wedgewood, (I've found that merely mentioning rather than threatening gets more results.) GM should jump to one more chance to rectify problem--which may result in a new set of Michelins. or wheels. or both. EIGHT OUNCES OF WEIGHTS=1/2 POUND=WAY TOO MUCH!!! I've bought some GM buybacks & found the original buyer really had legitimate complaints. But I've been fortunate to associate w/several GM d'ships with wonderful diagnosticians who could remedy problems, never to reappear. HTH, s Check w/your State's Dept. of Consumer Affairs (or online) to determine if you have such a lemon law. Its mere existence, w/out verbal threats from you, should tip the scales heavily in your direction. HTH & good luck, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

You should be doing ALL of this through the dealer. Not taking it all over. The reason being that now the dealer can say that it is NOT their fault because of something that your shop (or one of the others) did. Just a fact. I would go back to the dealer and have them install the new tires and test the vehicle. It could also be a problem with the rims themselves.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks much. I find this very helpful since I thought I was going to have to fight the dealer (this is a small town). TPBeach

Reply to
Azonie

Who can you complain to??? You just bought the vehicle from the local dealer - who else would you think to go to? Don't screw around with the sales guy, go directly to the management. If it's a small enough dealer then go to the owner of the dealership. Advise them that you'll take your complaint to GM if you don't receive satisfaction. If the dealer does not address the problem, then take the issue to the GM Zone Rep.

I do have to say that your story sounds like something is missing though. Most dealers will not just turn their backs on a problem like this with a new purchase. Is there more you're not telling us?

Reply to
Mike Marlow