Help with Steering Squeak

Whenever I slightly steer to the left on my 2000 olds alero (86k miles) I hear this medium level metal on metal sound. Its not a low pitched grinding sound it is more of a medium pitched sound from shaving metal. The sound is not made above 30 mph nor is it made on sharp left turns or any steering to the right. Powersteering fluid is OK. The noise is not made when I turn the wheels standing still...

any ideas what is making this noise? and/or how i can diagnose?

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave

Jack up the front end. Check the wheel bearings and suspension joints/bushings. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock and 3 and 9 and look, listen and feel. On that car you have to equalize the weight on a wheel to check the lower ball joint

Reply to
noname