keyless remotes

My daughter and I both have a 98 GMC Jimmy. Her keyless remote stopped working long ago. Now mine has. I changed the battery on the remotes but they still don't work.

My question is do these need to be re programmed after changing battery and if so how do I do it. I checked at auto zone they have new remotes for $88 but I have seen them on eBay. But my worry is if I buy from eBay how do I program it.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Stand next to the truck and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on a remote. You should get some sort of activity from the truck after about 15 seconds. This just re-synchs the remotes to the truck. If that doesn't work, try the following.

Get in the truck with both remotes, close all doors. Put the key in the ignition, hold the power door UNlock button on the door panel and cycle the ignition 2 times from OFF (no need to start, just go to RUN). The door locks should cycle to confirm it's in programming mode. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first remote to be programmed, hold them for about 15 seconds. The door locks should cycle. Repeat the last step for each remote to be programmed.

After programm>My daughter and I both have a 98 GMC Jimmy. Her keyless remote stopped

Reply to
Mike Levy

LOL dont forget to take the key out before the test!!!

Reply to
Tim Thomson

Tried this and it did not work. Any other ideas?

Reply to
Tim

"Tim" wrote in news:D9-dnQZu3-f snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If all else fails try this:

I've purchased remotes from them before and have been quite happy. They offer programing instructions only for $$.

Good Luck

Reply to
David Wilkinson

That method just worked for my 02 Tahoe but I think for older trucks you need to jump pin 4 to pin 8 on the data connector to enter programming mode. I found both methods here=

vince_e

Reply to
vince_e

This method should work, with a few clearifications.

That is - ON, OFF, ON, OFF

Now let go of the UNLOCK button on the door panel.

That is, LOCK and then UNLOCK.

Reply to
Steve Mackie