Looking for a mid-size domestic car recommendation

Lawsuits like that are so frivolous....I really hope that someone does something to end them.

It's no one's fault but your own if you eat until you get sick and find yourself overweight.

Reply to
alfee

Good LORD Matt !

Just What are you encouraging?

Bill will get repetitive strain injury in his thumb from the remote, TV news induced Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, onset of obesity and a propensity for diabetes from the food the TV commercials are "forcing" him to consume, back strain from trying to get off his ass to go to the refrigerator, etc, etc, etc.....

Quick, someone call that man a Lawyer !

Reply to
Full_Name

LOL!

What about the heart attack he gets when he try's dialing the lawyer?

The problem with society today is, every wants to blame everyone else!

I've had cars without cup holders, and I've never put cups of hot coffee between my legs! My nuts were as important to me then, as they are to me now!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

OK, Bill you're a Lawyer! Actually, I hadn't thought of that before, but I'll bet he IS a lawyer. That would explain is POV.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Yes you are correct. The plants were closed but are now open.

My news was old news.

Reply to
Art

No - they just loudly complain about the malpractice insurance premiums. So you're telling me that a good physician is not concerned about being sued for something that is not his/her fault when real world says they should be? You're FOS.

Bill Putney

Lawsuits don't scare Good MD's. Jury's full of incompetent morons do.

You have no doubt noticed that America is the land of doctors with sky high malpractice insurance premiums.

But, have you also noticed that the US is also the land where the put the determination of financial compensation in the hands of complete idiots?

What other civilized country does that? If you can't see that connection there is little else that I can do to explain my position.

PS The Trailer park & the Springer show isn't actually the real world. Oh also, just a FYI that Hilton girl's TV show isn't the "real world either" A good doctor screens and educates his patients before he ever lifts a scalpel.

PPS. Don't take it so personally, it's just an opinion.

Reply to
Full_Name

You are much closer now, but the Wilmington plant was never shut down ... other than when the occasional hurricane threatens.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

How do you separate the two (hint: you can't unless you settle as if you are guilty even if you aren't). Sounds like a semantics game to me. Jurys full of incompetent morons are *WHY* good MD's might ought to be scared of lawsuits.

Bill Putney

I appreciate that, Art. She's now married and has a son, and is the picture of health.

I'll take your word for it. That is unfortunate. Again, not making excuses for them, but you will find glaring examples of human fallibility no matter what the system. I guess you have to ask which system has the best balance of oversight and correction of problems, and still get results at a reasonable cost. I would agree with you that we are far from the ideal (similar to what Churchill said about Democracy being "...the worst form of government except for all the others").

Reply to
Bill Putney

You are correct with regards to how I posted what I posted.

What my logic was that moron juries deciding the financial settlement are the source of the problem. What I had intended was the notion that although we should still retain the Jury system for the guilt/innocence aspect, financial awards should be determined by financial experts. (to prevent the "grandma groin splash cash pay outs").

I don't think that most of us in this group would begrudge the old lady some compensation. I just think that for most of us a "sorry here's a free coffee" & we'll pay part of your medical bills should have sufficed"

Reply to
Full_Name

The article indicates it was closed. Perhaps they just delayed outfitting it. Anyway, who cares.

Art

Watching the evening news and came across this which made me think of your posting. Thought you might enjoy:

Sep. 4 2004 11:15 PM ET Hospital didn't help ill people enter facility CTV.ca News Staff

A British.Columbia Canadian. family believes their daughter died because of hospital bureaucracy. Two weeks ago, Jessica Peace -- a mother of one -- had a drug reaction, stopped breathing and died in hospital. Her uncle, Jim Roberts, took her to the Peace Arch hospital in White Rock -- but not into the hospital. And he thinks she'd still be alive if not for the delay in getting her emergency care. "I honestly don't know why I didn't carry her in, but I thought when you went to a hospital they helped you," he said. When he arrived at the hospital, he left her in the car, ran inside and begged for help. "'My niece is in the car. She's not breathing. I need help,'" was his recollection. "She says, 'I'm sorry sir, you'll have to call an ambulance.'" Roberts was handed a phone and the desk clerk dialed 9-1-1. "I said, 'that's crazy.' She said, 'that's our policy, sir.'" The Peace Arch hospital insists it's not a policy, but that having paramedics to assist is necessary sometimes. "Removing somebody from an automobile and putting them on a stretcher, you need at least two people to do that," said Don Bower of the Fraser Health Authority.

The hospital said a nurse eventually did go out and give Jessica CPR while she was still in the car.

It agrees Roberts shouldn't have had to call for an ambulance himself and it is investigating the matter -- the second such investigation in just over a year.

In May 2003, an 88-year-old man died of cardiac arrest just outside the hospital's doors. Even the RCMP complained it took to long to get the victim help.

"It can't go on like this. More people are going to die," Roberts said, adding, "it's not the first time something like this has happened."

Lisa Trewern can vouch for that, saying, "the same thing happened to me when I took my mom to the hospital on April 3."

She said her mother had severe abdominal pains. While her mother survived, Trewern said she now regrets not having formally reported the matter: "They weren't willing to help me until I got through the doors." Jessica Peace's family is considering legal action while they take care of her son. With a report from CTV's Sarah Galashan

If a Lawyer was called in April 3, would the two subsequent deaths have been as likely?

Reply to
Full_Name

Don't you ever do any research before you post? The recession started during the last year of the Clinton administration not after Bush took office. It was stopped by about the first 1,000 day of the Bush administration. Whether you or Kerry like it or not the economy has grown for 11 STRAIGHT quarters since 2001. Payrolls and job have expanded for 11 straight months. Hourly wages are up 2% since Bush took office. Productivity has constantly grown over the past three years. The unemployment rate is 5.3%, lower than the 5.4% Bill Clinton was touting during his tenure. Inflation is almost non existent down 3% below Clinton time and down over 16% below Cater 18.8% inflation rate. Best of all. for the less fortunate in the US, their federal income tax rate was reduced by at least 1/3 and removed completely for the lowest wage earners by the Bush tax cuts that went into effect in 2003. Indeed

1.31 million jobs have been lost sine Bush took office but 1.14 million have been created. That is pretty good considering the 500 Billion loss to the economy caused by 9/11 and all that happened since Bush took office. Particularly when one looks how the trade deficit is growing every year as more more American sent THEIR jobs overseas by taking advantage of lower cost goods available on the market today because of the expanding world market

mike hunt

Art wrote:

Reply to
Mayor2

I'm not sure about the jobs or wages, but then I'm not too concerned with them right now since I'm going to college. I can give you all the unemployment data from when 91-2001, 91-6.8%, 92-7.5% 93-6.9%, 94 6.1%,

95-5.6%, 96-5.4%, 97-4.9%, 98-4.5%, 99-4.2%,00-4.0%, 01-4.8%. GDP was growing all throughout 92-00 years. In 01 it only grew by .3%, between 92 and 00 it grew an average of 3.29%. Inflation on the other hand stayed about the same for both CPI and GDP Deflator from 92-01. I'll be able to put up more stuff too..never thought these books would come in handy :P
Reply to
Phillip Schmid

1,000 days = 2.74 years. 4 year term -- 2.74 = 1.26 years (or 1 year 95 days shy of a full term) so after 2/3's of his term in office with a Republican house and Republican Senate the recession finally stopped it's contraction. It was written above that:

so......................

( which only goes to 2002)Inflation rate 2000 = 3.38 %Inflation rate 2001 = 2.86%Inflation rate 2002 = 1.58% Using these numbers alone for the 2000 - 2002 period a 2% wage growth divided over 4 years = 0.5% per year.... minus a 2000 - 2002 inflation rate of 7.82% leaves a 6.32 % gap between earnings and inflation.

Just for fun looking back we get: Inflation rate 1984 = 4.37 % (Regan Whitehouse) Inflation rate 1990 = 5.39 % (Bush Sr Whitehouse) Inflation rate 1991 = 4.22% (Bush Sr Whitehouse) Inflation rate 1993 = 2.98% (Clinton Whitehouse) Inflation rate 1998 = 1.51% (Clinton Whitehouse) Inflation rate 1997 = 2.35 % (Clinton Whitehouse) It would appear that, along with Whitehouse interns, inflation also went down in the Clinton Whitehouse ;-)

Though, in truth inflation rates are really a smoke & mirror show as I believe that some governments are even excluding some energy costs. Has your fuel become more expensive in the past couple years?? But fortunately:

So, if you're indigent then you won't have to pay (right now) any income tax). Though I suppose if you've got nothing to pay with.... I do like these two lines:

The bulk of the message sounds pro-Bush. But the second one in isolation almost sounds somewhat negative towards Bush Jr.

With regards to jobs lost/gained. Some might ask as to pay & benefit levels of new jobs. I know that McDonalds & Walmart have hired quite a few folks recently. Would those be better or worse than the manufacturing jobs lost?

I'm not pro-Democrat (I'm not sure that Mrs. President Clinton was either) and I'm not pro-Republican. But I do believe that the present administration is heading down a wrong path. I really liked Bush Sr. I'm not quite as keen on Jr. I liked Clinton (the man) but I'm not sure that I like Kerry. I've yet to hear a clear plan from him on the economy or how to control Iraq without American's on the ground there.

I'm concerned that as America narrows it's focuses onto Iraq, China grows larger & more powerful by the day. America is turning into a police state & China already is one.

We've gone from a balance of a Russian Dictatorship with an American Democracy towards an American totalitarian state with a Chinese totalitarian state as it's "balance". As much as you may dislike Clinton at least he "accidentally" bombed a Chinese embassy spying on the west. This administration seems hell bent upon shipping the American production capacity to China while ignoring the pending threat.

All quite puzzling to me

Reply to
Full_Name

Yes, but I am not sure if I 'enjoyed' reading about such sad incidents. In fact, I learned recently that the distant relative was twice refused treatment by the A&E (accident & emergency) dept of a Toronto hospital until he practically crawled in in great pain...

It's taken me a while to reply as I was away...a week was in hospital... :-)

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Sorry, distant relative of a Canadian work colleague.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling