94 Park Ave - A/C problem

I've got a 94 Buick Park Avenue that has the following problem:

The a/c compressor clutch went bad and seized up, snapping the serp belt. When the compressor went, it somehow melted the plug in connector, leaving a non re-solidified pile of plastic goo and what looks like a nice arc weld where the wires in the connector body on the comp. were.

replaced the comp. and the connector. The computer won't reset to tell the comp. to engage and thus no a/c output. The SES light is on and, while I don't have the code, the mech said it was reading codes indicating a problem. He mentioned it may take a great deal of time to track down the trouble and may require the R&R of the computer controller which also intail removal of part of the dash to get into.

Any quick fix ideas to try before letting the wrench back at it, or am I hosed here???

TIA

Mir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir al sawfwany

Comp. won't engage. SES light is on. Mech said it was reading problem codes.

May require difficult R&R of the computer which entails removal of part of the dash.

Any quick fix ideas to try before letting mech at it? _________________________________________

If the melted connector shorted out, it blew a fuse. Replacing the A/C fuse may fix the problem.

If polarity is important, is new plug wired backwards?

The engine control computer does not turn the A/C off and on. The A/C has its own controller behind the dash.

The SES codes in some cars can be read by inserting a jumper wire into a below-dash connector and counting the times the SES light flashes. It takes about 15 minutes. You can find the meaning of each code from your mech or from an auto repair book in the library. Then decide whether to begin spending money.

Reply to
Wendy & John