Looking for a mid-size domestic car recommendation

Warren Buffet did not "create" any wealth, he merely moved it from someone else's pocket to his own. He is richer, they are poorer. The net wealth of the nation is the same.

You're equating money with wealth. In the common vernacular they are often interchanged, but when discussing economic theory they are two different things.

Reply to
Bill Turner

If there were no shark lawyers, McDonalds would still be burning people, wouldn't they? People would still be needing surgery, permanent scars would be created every day, etc, etc.

Serves 'em right. Don't shed too many tears over "innocent" employees would could have and should have stepped in and demanded their products be made safe. When was the last time you heard a union calling a strike in order to make a product safer?

LOL here too. :-)

Reply to
Bill Turner

And how hot is the coffee you make in your house? God forbid I stopped over had a mug and spilled it on myself and had to sue your homeowners for it.

Reply to
Sijuki

Why? Did his 'work' not effect the GNP? Does he not pay those people that work for him? Are all of those working in the jobs that now exist, because of his products being sold and serviced, not compensated? Or do they not count because they work in air conditioned facilities and therefore do not work up a 'perspire?'

mike hunt

Bill Turner wrote:

Reply to
BrickMason

I don't believe the workers in McDonald's restaurants are unionized. ;)

mike hunt

Bill Turner wrote:

product safer?

Reply to
BrickMason

Yeah - just last week, I put my hand on a glowing burner on the stove, and lo and behold, it burned my hand. No one told me!!! Bastards!!! 8^)

Bill Putney

The legal standard for inherently dangerous goods like guns and power saws is different than that for ordinary goods.

Reply to
Art

That could change as we evolve more to the "Utopian" society. Some gun mfgrs. have been hit in recent years with some pretty stupid lawsuits considering what guns are intended to do.

Bill Putney

All the money he "paid" his workers ultimately came from someone else's pocket and created nothing of any value except to Warren. The net wealth of the nation was not increased one penny.

By comparison, a worker who performs a useful service (installs your satellite dish) or actually makes something (assembles a car) has increased the net wealth of the nation.

I'm sure you will see no difference at all. :-)

Reply to
Bill Turner

Try as I might, I can not find any point to your post. Try again.

Reply to
Bill Turner

Does a worker have to belong to a union to be dissatisfied with the safety of his product? Did any worker at McDonalds ever raise the question of possible injury because the coffee was too hot? Or did they just go with the flow because they were afraid to rock the boat?

Reply to
Bill Turner

In that example, one could argue that society is better off, while the shopkeeper is less well off.

Far more likely, however, is the shopkeeper keeps his money either in a savings account, invested in stocks or bonds or in some kind of commercial account. All of which make society better off.

Reply to
Bill Turner

Right answer. 8^) (Hmmm - what if he had it in Enron stock? rhetorical question)

Bill Putney

Well... that puts you into the 5% of the population that are complete idiots. Coffee is SUPPOSED to be hot. Thanks to morons like you the only way to get it hot now is to brew your own. Bob

Reply to
Bob

You know, that post reminds me of a lawyer couple that were trying to figure out how to stop moss from growing on their sidewalk permanently (it lives on the side that gets no sunlight). Then they asked about making it so they could never have ice on the sidewalk.

There's a point where if people keep going on with these stupid lawsuits that they should just be thrown in jail to think about it. "Hi, I did something stupid so I'm going to sue you now!"

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

When the stock crashed, he would be worse off while anyone who wished to purchase the stock would be better off. Net result for society = zero.

Remember, when the stock crashed, nothing of real physical value was lost, only the price put on it. It was terrible for the employees but beneficial for society as a whole.

Reply to
Bill Turner

Ok, which am I, idiot or moron? Can't be both, n*****ts.

:-)

Reply to
Bill Turner

there was a local lawyer who feel into the shark infested waters while fishing..... news reports say that no sharks were injured in this mishap.

Reply to
dbird

Then why did you say:

mike hunt

Bill Turner wrote:

Reply to
BrickMason

Does that mean you believe that if one keeps their money under their mattress, rather placing it where it earns dividends or interest, nothing is created of any value and the economy will not be effected? Are you for real? Do you really believe, that the net wealth of the nation is not increased by those type of earnings? If indeed you do, then one is wasting their time trying to enlighten you on this subject. Bye!

mike hunt

Bill Turner wrote:

Reply to
BrickMason