Loose steering wheel

The past 2 times I have taken my 94 Grand AM in to the shop, both times they have told me that the steering wheel has some play. It does move a bit, but is this something that I really need to worry about ? Or are they pointing out a future problem in the making ? I guess all I want to know is if the steering wheel being a bit loose (ie moves side to side slightly and up and down slightly) is any reason to be concerned ?

Regards, Steve K

Reply to
Steve K

This is likely in the tilt mechanism and will get worse over time. The screws that hold the mechanism together begin to back out.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Some slack is normal. I would worry if it were over 1 or 2 mm. I had a Buick a few years ago that kept loosening the bolts that hold the tilt wheel assm. to the hard mount. A few drops of Blue LockTite fixed it up.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=