Loose steering wheel

I have a 1994 Chrysler Concorde It has excessive up and down play on the steering wheel I can still adjust the position by using the lever but the play is still there. Is this acommon complaint or do I have something to worry about?

Reply to
player615

A common complaint, No. Something to worry about? I would say anytime your steering wheel is loose it would be something to worry about.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Your steering column is coming apart. This is a safety problem. Repair or replace the steering column immediately.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

maxpower

Yeah, I agree. Mine doesn't do that. On the tilt wheel, obviously there is a mechanism that does move, but when it locks in position it doesn't move much at all.

Reply to
Joe

My '99 Concorde has (for as long as I can remember) had a very slight knock in the column whenever side force is put on the steering wheel (only when pushed with moderate force from one side to the other) - no noise on up and down forces. Most people probably wouldn't notice it.

From playing with it, I figure it has to be some minimal side-to-side play in the tilt joint. It hasn't gotten any worse, and I can't see it as something that I should panic over and replace the column for.

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney