Master Switch Assembly

'87 Coupe DeVille. I believe I have a bad switch in the MSA that operates the passenger side window. I'm sure I can repair/replace the faulty switch if I can figure-out how to gain access to the assembly. There is a small notch at the rear of the assembly body that a screwdriver will fit into. (nothing like that at the front of the body) The screwdriver tip will push a tension spring, but that doesn't seem to release the assembly, so I'm not sure if that is, in fact, the release mechanism? Or do I have to remove the complete door cover? There is no info about this in the factory SM. Help with the procedure would be appreciated, thanks. Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Dave,

The info on the doors is in the Fisher Body Manual back in those days (now days the Body & Chassis Manuals are integrated).

You're on the right track. Take a putty knife, slide it into that gap, then tilt the handle end of the putty knife up until you feel the "notch" in the retainer. Push the retainer spring at the rear of the control assembly towards the front of the car while pulling upwards on the assembly and it will pop loose from the armrest. Remember you are also moving something like 20+ wires in a wiring harness so it will take a bit of a tug to get the assembly loose.

The window switch is a module held into the control assembly by 2 Torx screws that also have (if my memory serves me right) 7MM hex heads. The connector is held to the window switch by 2 clips and fricton. Be careful if you use a metal tool to release the connector from the switch: don't short out the pins on the switch!

If you need it, drop me a line and I'll scan the appropriate page from the Fisher Body Manual for you.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Thanks Bill. I emailed you the result and my appreciation for your help.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt