Noise in right front 91 Olds 88

My daughter has a 91 Olds 88 with 87000 miles on it. Recently it has developed a noise which sounds like a motor rev, low to medium pitch that is speed related. I've tried putting the car in neutral and turning the engine off while driving but the noise persists. The speed/rev increases with the speed of the car but no vibration or steering problems noted. A visual inspection did not reveal anything. Any idea what this might be?

Reply to
wcooper

Shep

Reply to
wcooper

Wheel bearing? Does it change at all in a turn? If so, it is the hub worn as the load will change in a turn and can make the noise get louder or go away.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nope seems constant. But I'll test drive it again.

Reply to
wcooper

maybe diff in trans then

Reply to
Kevin

My Olds minivan needed both front hub/wheel bearing units replaced I discovered recently, and I am looking at those things while doing oil changes and tire rotations, so it appears that they do creep up on you. Mine was easily diagnosed as there was play in the tire/wheel in all points on the compass (as you look at the wheel). Good luck.

Reply to
scott