NOT starting after checking codes!?

OK...I've recently posted about a potential IAC problem that would cause my car not to start unless I gave it gas...and then it would run but the idle would be going crazy etc...eventually it would fix itself after a couple of re-starts...

NOW, it hasn't done this since Monday...and it only did it two other times within the past couple weeks...

Just a couple of minutes ago something dawned on me...each of the three times the car did this, I had checked the OBD Codes just prior...

Each time I would get home, pull into my drive-way, get out my paperclip to check the codes, read the codes, take the paperclip out...go inside for a few hours...come back out, and then "it" would happen...the engine wouldn't start!!??

It's almost like the ECM is losing it's knowledge of the IAC or something...but somehow checking the codes is the only thing that's making this happen?

Are these THREE times just a coincidence(I don't think so), or is my ECM really starting to do some crazy things...?

THANKS AGAIN!:)

Reply to
bigbossfan80

What year and make of car? Are you shorting the right pins? What are you seeing in the codes you are reading out? It sounds like the pins you are shorting out are the incorrect pins. Don't read the codes and see if it happens again. Go to an AutoZone and let them read the codes for you.

Reply to
Woody

The order that you do things when you check your trouble codes may explain what's happening...

If you're grounding the ALDL before you turn the key on, you're entering a diagnostic mode where the ECM commands the IAC to seat the IAC pintle for purposes of checking the minimum idle speed.

The correct procedure for retrieving codes is to turn the ignition on, then ground the ALDL.

Reply to
Neil Nelson