Oil change light

I have a 2002 Impala 3.4L. Sometimes I notice the oil change light comes on after only 1000 miles past the last oil change. This sometimes happens during rain, or even a hot day. This also happens on a 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue also. Does anybody know about this issue?

John Running

Reply to
WalterR

Greetings,

Silly question and I hope you don't mind... but are you resetting the oil change warning light when you get the oil changed? If it's not reset it will/should come back on after a while to remind you (again) to change the oil. Resetting the warning light is not automatic when the oil is changed - it must be done manually. The light doesn't actually sense anything about the oil, but rather is nothing more than a counter based on RPM's, engine hours, driving speed (or whatever) and is programmed to turn on when a certain milestone is reached based on one or more of these factors. It takes slightly more than 10,000 miles for the Change Engine Oil message to come up on the display in my truck even though I religiously change the oil every 5,000 miles.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Yes, I do reset the oil life by my radio. I go through the menu on my radio. However if this oil change light goes on it seems to drop the power on the engine a little. Once I reset it the engine seems to run better and has a little bit more power. Thus I manually keep track of the miles. I prefer to reset my oil life by my radio. You can also do it by pushing in three times to the accelerator peddle, however you must do it within a certain time. Some cars I heard you have to tap the accelerator peddle 10 times and pull a fuse to reset it. By the way if the oil change light goes on or is near to come on it seems to effect the quality of sound by the radio.

John Running

Reply to
WalterR