OUCH !!

After the 50K maintenance check, the dealer suggested it was time to replace the front brake pads.

The repair quote was a small ransom, because the car would need new rotors.

As it was explained to me, the new GM to metallic pads wear down the rotors.

Is this the new GM quality ? Replace the Rotors with each brake job ?

( it's a 2002 BUICK Century ) OUCH !!

Reply to
Anonymous

ALL rotors wear. They should be checked on occasion, with a micrometer, to determine if and when they should be replaced.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

50,000 miles and you're bitching about a brake job? Wait until it runs out of that free tank of gas the dealer sent you down the road with - you're really going to be po'd.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

How much is a small ransom?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

No.... I'm bitching about a rotor job ! The rotors should last longer than the ( OEM ) disk pads.

BTW; In my world, mileage doesn't wear out brakes. It's the number of stops per mile.

As it is, much of my mileage is "highway miles"....

Reply to
Anonymous

I've owned many cars over the years. I've had many brake jobs done. I've NEVER had to replace the rotors on the first brake job.

Reply to
Anonymous

True, I have a car with nearly 300K on the clock that has the original rotors, many times they just need to be turned a few thousands. However some folks don't even look at the brakes till they start making funny noises. By then the rotors can be damaged by worn-out lining. That is why they should be checked on occasion, with a micrometer, to determine if and when they should be replaced

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

$400+ ( when you add in the "hazardous waste disposal fee ) )

Reply to
Anonymous

Its due to the semi metallic pads. People want quite brakes that don't leave dust on their nice clean wheels so now you have brake pads that are as hard as the rotors so both wear about the same. Get some good quality non metallic pads and live with black dust on your wheels (and better braking) or live with replacing the rotors. GM is just giving the never keep a car past 30k public what they want.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

My G/F just TODAY had her 2002 Buick Century in for a brake job. She is a bit "hard" on the brakes at times. This is her 1st brake job on this car at 42K miles.

She got all new pads on the front, AND new rotors on the front. Front means both left and right side too. The ENTIRE job, parts and labor at a local Buick dealership was..... $209.21 (including tax).

Nothing was replaced on rear at this time. That is not considered a great price around our locale, but merely a fair price.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

How do you recognize nonmetallic and what brand would we be likely to find them in?

Reply to
Scott

Ouch!

Reply to
Neil Nelson

What do you think? If you think this is "the new GM quality", then pay for it and move on. If not, then do what an intelligent person would do and either check them yourself or have someone you trust do it.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I'd hate to go in for new wipers.... They might just replace the winsdshield !! ;o)

Reply to
Anonymous

My 2001 Century needed rotors at about 35000 miles(much too soon). I replaced the oem rotors because they were warped due to overheating. You can buy rotors from $25 to $100 each (top end is drilled and slotted dissipate heat better). Pads were replaced with Pepboys heavyduty pads. They now have 60000 miles and the pads with little wear on rotors and about

10000 miles left on the pads. The rear breaks are about due to be changed at 90000 miles. there is very little wear on rear drums. In this area(north GA) a complete break job (with rotors) cost about $250. ernie
Reply to
ernie

Here in KY you can get somebody to "break" 'em for free.

Reply to
Rob

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yup, same here on a 2002 monte carlo. new pads, and rotors all the way around, 72,000 miles. But really thats not bad, they are wear items. I like knowing my womans car can stop. Whats really yhe killer is the labor, rotors for domestic cars arent that expensive. The exotic pads they use these days cost more than the rotors...

Reply to
Ript