Door ajar problem in Mercury

I've been having the "usual" problem with the door ajar switches on my

1996 Sable (a common problem reported widely on the internet). I got the two front door switches supposedly diagnosed as bad and replaced for about $300. I've used the WD-40/silicone lubricant spray, with only partial success.The problem is still there with the rear doors, so I bought two switches for the rear doors with the intent on replacing them myself. However, these switches are mounted on the latch assembly that is tucked well into the depths of the door, and I can't figure out how to get the switch out. I figure there is a "release" mechanism but I can't see the latch assembly well enough to figure it out. I have removed the door panel, but visibility is minimal. Any ideas on how to get these switches out?
Reply to
RB

well, the wd40 always works for me so im not positive but, I would remove the whole latch the change that little switch. Actually I would try the WD40 again first. Spray the crap out of it, then open and close the door about 50 times :)

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Remove rear door trim panel and watershield.

Check all connections of rear door latch remote control link and rods. Service as necessary.

Remove rear door latch bellcrank.

Remove handle assembly.

Using a letter X 1/4-inch diameter drill bit, remove pop-rivets attaching rear door electric latch actuator (if equipped) and rear door latch remote control link to rear door.

Disconnect electrical connector to rear door electric latch actuator (if equipped).

Remove rear door latch retaining clip from rear door latch.

Remove three screws retaining rear door latch to rear door. Disconnect bellcrank and link actuating rod from rear door latch.

Remove rear door latch and rear door electric latch actuator and rear door latch control as an assembly from rear door.

Remove U-clip then remove link retaining clip. Pry out and remove rear door latch remote control link from rear door latch.

Transfer bushings and retaining clips along with rear door electric latch actuator and rear door latch control to new rear door latch.

Follow removal procedure in reverse order to install.

Tighten rear door latch retaining screws to 10-14 N-m (89-124 lb-in).

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Rob - Thanks for the detailed info. I assume that I would need to remove the latch to get to the switch. Seems like too much chance that something will go wrong and I'll wind up braking something! ;-) Unless there is a way to get the switch out without removing the whole latch assembly, I think I'll need to keep trying the spray method!! Thanks, Ron

Reply to
RB