Power steering pressure switch

I'm getting an E40 code on my '87 Deville. Heavy power steering pressure is present. It could be a connection problem or a bad switch. Access is under the car, so that will be a problem for these old bones. I intend to be armed with a new switch, just in case, but I'm wondering the 'why' of the heavy pressure? Steering works fine, but I've always thought I heard a low groan when turning the wheel. The fluid isn't new, so I'm wondering if the 'heavy' pressure might be the result of old/contaminated fluid? If so, I guess I need to bleed the rack/pinion of the old fluid? I think I'll do that anyway, so what is the best method? Gravity bleed work ok? Thanks! Merry Christmas ya'll!

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Jeez, Dave, it's been a holiday. I'd use the old turkey baster method to empty the reservoir, then refill. Repeat daily until you're satisfied that it either helped or it didn't. Sometime trying to crack open lines that are rusted up a bit is a recipe for disaster. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro