Re: Foreign cars pass Big 3. but not on a steep grade

No, it's mostly because they're pot-bellied chinless jerks who need Viagara and Lipitor.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Actually I fly more than I drive. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How do you like your SUV?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You're not a good comedian either.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

So, are you going to get the new Honda? I am sure it will fly well. The down side is it does not have a potty.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

With $3 Gas, Detroit Pays for Its Past

Jeff

I wouldn't register on the traitorous New York Times site for any article.

Post the article or go home...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Myself, 92 Honda Accord 2.2, 95 Toyota Corolla 1.6.

One of the security guards at work just paid cash for a Lincoln Navigator... he refi'd his house.

Says that at today's price of around 3.15 per gal, it takes him $100.00 to fill his tank.

He lives in DC for crying out loud... you can't even hardly drive that thing in DC.

On the other hand... I know folks who would be stranded without their

4-wheel-drives. Those folks mostly drive 4WDs -- either big trucks, or steely utility vehicles -- not these pussy SUVs,
Reply to
Learning Richard

In the article, we read:

"To follow suit, the solution for Detroit's automakers may be simple: cut back on S.U.V.'s and pickups and put their resources into developing the cars that American drivers increasingly want."

Me think that the last word of that sentence should be NEED instead of WANT. LOL

Bassplayer12

Big motorcycles. like the Honda Gold Wing and Harleys only get 40 MPG ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I won't post copyrighted material in violation of the copyright law.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hmmm, then why are fatality rates higher for pickup trucks and SUVs than they are for passenger cars?

"The traffic safety agency reported last week that there were 16.42 deaths of S.U.V. occupants in accidents last year for every 100,000 registered S.U.V.'s. The figure for passenger cars was 14.85 deaths for each 100,000 registered; pickups were slightly higher than cars at 15.17 deaths per 100,000, while vans were lowest at 11.2 occupant deaths for every 100,000 registered. "

John

Reply to
John Horner

You need to go by deaths for every 100,000,000 mi driven, rather than deaths per 100,000 vehicles. People may put more miles on one type of vehicle than another type.

SUVs have more problems with turnovers during crashes than cars.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Duh, the average car seat 5 the average SUV seats 7. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My hard drive holds 120 GB. About 10 GB are used. Likewise, most vehicles are not loaded to capacity when people drive them.

I think median number of occupants of most pickup trucks, SUVs, vans and cars is 1.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm glad you said in my opinion. One of the primary reasons the Senate has been reluctant to up the CAFE for light trucks is the report form the NHTSA that shows deaths and injures among children had been dropping over the past five years. The drop was attributed to the fact more of them are riding, properly belted, in the larger safer SUVs that buyers prefer to buy. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Then go home would be my advice....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

It's ok for the traitorous New York Times to publish national secrets, but you are so high and mighty you don't want to copy their crap to a NG?

Jeez....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Then lets be REALLY SAFE and transport 'em all in armored cars !

no...NO.... Abrams TANKS.

Reply to
Anonymous

(...)

I don't have the right to copy the article. If I were high and mighty, I would be allowed to copy the story. But I am not. I am just an ordinary guy.

Jeff

PS, The NYT did the right thing when it published the material.

Reply to
Jeff