Re: Is Big Brother Watching?

When you register, I think the web site provides a question that asks you what your normal annual mileage is. At least that is what I remembered when I registered. The site is probably calculating your current mileage from that. I'll post this to the GM NG...someone there may know more about this. Although you do raise a interesting question.

I registered my Buick on the GM web site when I purchased it new about >2-1/2 years ago. I checked the web site today for the very first time >since registration. > > To my surprise they pegged the mileage on the car within 100 miles. > > I have the OnStar package but do not subscribe. Are they monitoring the > mileage via this link or do they have a "very good" algorithm that can > figure it out. I haven't had the car into the dealer in over six months. > > Just curious..... >
Reply to
James C. Reeves

As you suggested, I did supply my normal driving habits when I signed up.

To only miss by 100 miles out of 32300 is only 0.3%. That's pretty darn good. Now if GM could only manage their company that well they'd have something!!

Reply to
Bishoop

Probably a fluke that they got that close. I don't think mine came out that close. It could also be that your mileage use rate was updated in the system by the dealer each time you had the car in for service and warranty work.

I'll say!

You're going to get the two of us in trouble with the GM lemmings in the GM group saying stuff like that! ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves