Starter bolt torque

Strange thing happened on my '95 Chevy Cavalier. The car wouldn't start one day, I popped the hood and I saw the starter totally out of place. Both the bolts had sheared, one came out easily, and the other had to be eased-out. I was wondering what the correct torque for the bolts is. I'm guessing it's around 35-40 lbs, but if anyone has the correct torque numbers I'd appreciate them.

One other thing, since reattaching the starter the "check oil" light has been coming on. Checked the oil , and there's plenty. I'm going to get the oil changed to see if that fixes it, but the last change was around 1500 miles ago. Any other ideas what could be causing the light to come on?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Reply to
Zwan

I have the 96 book not the 95 but the torque spec is probably the same. It shows 37 ft lbs for the 2.2 l engine and 66 ft lbs for the 2.4 l engine. As for the oil level sensor I would check it for damage or damage to the wires since it is right next to the starter.......

Reply to
BillW

Thanks for the info BillW, I'll be adjusting the screws tomorrow. I found a broken wire right by the starter, fixed it, and no more check oil light! Thanks again

Reply to
Zwan