Temp spike with cold air

I have a 94 Grand Am V6 3.1. The car has been running fine, and the temp usually stays around the 1/4 mark on the guage. All of a sudden a couple of days ago while I was driving, the warm air turned to cold air from the vents, and I noticed the temperature guage going up very quickly to between

1/2 and 3/4 on the guage. I played with the heater control knob a bit but nothing worked. I did notice that the knob didn't turn quite as easily as it did before, kinda stuck a bit when going from warm to cool on the dial. After a minute or so it just changed back, and then warm air was coming out again, and the temp guage was back down to 1/4 where it usually is. This has happened 2 -3 times in the past 2-3 days. Can someone give me some advice as to what it may be. I am thinking possibly a thermostat problem, or excess air in the cooling system. If it is air in the cooling system, what would be the proper steps to flush that out myself. A friend of mine said somethiing about opening the cap, and letting the engine warm up for 10-15 minutes, and it will cycle the air out. Can someone give me more information please, or suggest another possible problem/solution. Thanks for any and all responses.

Regards, KDawg

Reply to
KDawg

Thermostat is sticking, replace it.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

"KDawg" wrote

Probably you are low on coolant. There is no need for any fancy procedure to bleed air on these engines. Just check the coolant level when the engine is cold, "if" it is low, then you need to top it up. Run the engine up to t/stat opening temp and then let it cool down. Check the level...and top it up to where it should be.

If your coolant level is where it should be...then the t/stat may be the next item to think about changing. Frankly though, the air temp out of your heater going cold is usually a good indicator that you have air in the system.....air in the system means low coolant.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Wrong answer. Original poster, be sure to ignore this until you've filled up your radiator.

Reply to
Joe

Yup, it was just low coolant. I topped her up, and all seems fine now. Thanks.

Reply to
KDawg

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

"KDawg" wrote

Might be a good idea to figure out why it was low. You may have a water pump leaking, intake gasket leaking...etc. You don't want to deal with the aftermath of coolant in your oil....if it happens to be going in there.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai